what do you think about this door by door sale situation?
May 6, 2005 at 7:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

frankcent

100+ Head-Fier
my english is not very good, so I will try my best to describe the situation.

today a mother and a son came to our door trying to sell tickets for a tournament for the momerial of the mother's cousin. because my dad could not understand what they were saying, he called me over the door and let me handle the situation. I asked them what they were trying to sell and said "sorry. we are not interested." because we dont have the time and interest to go to a tournament and I was thinking the tickets would get better use for someone else who actually would go to the tournament. my dad thought it was a charity sale and said:" hi. we can give you one dollar." and then pass a dollar to the mother when they were turning around and going to the next neighborhood. because I didnt wear glasses, I couldnt tell the expression on their face but they didnt say anything after accepting the dollar. After they were gone. I explained the situation to my dad and blamed him for giving the dollar. here is what I think about the situation. they were trying to sell tickets, not only for making money but also trying to get more people to know the tournament and her cousin and go to the tournament. the lady didnt ask for money. she was trying to sell tickets. and my dad giving her a dollar making me think that he treat people coming to our door like beggars. if he really wanted to show some support. he should have bought the tickets even if he doesnt want to go to the tournament. Its like, say, Im trying to sell candies in our neighborhood. I knock the door and a old man comes out. I ask if he would like to buy a chocolate bar and he says no and gives me a dollar instead then close the door. I would think like this: this man does not support what Im doing and hopes me to leave and not to bug him. even though I get a dollar, its not coming from what Im doing. I would feel disrespected. I explained the situation and my thoughts to my dad and he strongly insisted what he has done was appropriate and argued back. even though I explained the situation, he thinks that they were selling tickets so there was nothing wrong with giving them a dollar and they would be offended if we didnt give them money nor buy the tickets. and he thinks I blamed him because I was being stingy.

this makes me recall another incident. another day, my mom had some guests over and I was sleeping. a friend of mine came to our door and asked for recyclable materials like cans, bottles and etc.. my mom couldnt understand so she woke me up and let me answer the door. he told me it was for the school fund-rising. so I was checking to see if we had some cans and bottles for him. I am 100% sure I had some cans and bottles since I always keep some soft drinks in my refrigerator. while Im looking, my mom came over to me and asked me what they wanted. I said, it was for fund-rising and asked her if she had cans or something. then, she told me to give them some change and let them leave asap because she had guests here. so, I got my change box, told my friend that I couldnt find any cans and gave him 3 dollars for the fund-rising, which were worth like a garbage bag full of baverage containers. although the money did go to the school fund-rising, I dislike my mom's attitude toward the people asking for baverage containers for fund-rising. her purpose to ask me to give my friend money was to let my friend leave asap. the right attitude I think should be: "although we dont have containers for you, but we can donate some money for the fund-rising." I am thinking, that the money does not matter alot, and its what you are doing that matters and people's support matters in this scenario.

so, I relate this incident above with what happened today. and I believe what my parents did was wrong and disrespectful.. I had a huge argument with my dad on this thing.. because I do believe I have a twisted mind and dont think like others sometimes, so Im asking you guys, what do you think?

May 6, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 5
IMO, since he does not understand the language, he may not understand the intricacies of what the donation is for. Not saying that your dad is stupid or anything, but people from different cultures often do end up in awkward situations like the ones you described. Don't be too harsh on your father, he only tried to help, in any case. Though it wasn't the right thing to do, the good intent was there, and it helps their cause. Something this minor really isnt worth arguing about.

May 6, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 5
I think holding a tourament for a memorial for someone who died in your family is one of the bizzarest things I have heard of in a long time...
eek.gif

May 6, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Frankcent, what country are you in?

I don't know how these things would normally be viewed in your country, so I can only speak about my (personal) views as an American, but if someone is doing a fundraising activity like selling tickets to a tournament (what kind of tournament, by the way?) it is perfectly OK to make a donation in lieu of purchasing a ticket. Ideally these people would like you to buy a ticket and come to their event so that you learn about their cause. Howeve, if you would not want to attend, making a donation is a perfectly acceptable and charitable thing to do. If these people who came to your door only wanted your attendance, they would have been giving the tickets away for free. I don't think your dad was wrong and I don't think you were wrong for giving change in lieu of empty bottles.

May 6, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 5
The grounds in my condominium complex is private property and has a policy of no solicitation.

Anyone comes to my door trying to sell me something, they get a polite reminder of said policy.

Of course, it seems door to door sales has waned considerbly since it's so much easier to assault people over phone, fax, and email.
rolleyes.gif

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back