What do you recommend me ? Coming from a k271.
Jun 7, 2009 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Omega17TheTrue

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I want to try another headphone, i'll already own a k271 (with the velour pads) since more than a year -if i remember correctly- and i love it, especially on the audio-gd compass with the moon OPA and soft 1 setting.

However, i'm sure i can find a better headphone that will bring me a better musical experience.

Ill also own a k601 and i greatly prefer my k271, i find that the midrange and especially the voice are too recessed and muddy, the sound are too much distant and airy, and the high being too present and the bass too thin and dry.

What i'm looking after is ;

- A Very Beautiful Midrange where the voice really shine, being bloody human like they said.
- A overall well controlled sound,not agressive ,with the voice being more present than the instruments.
- A clear sound but not too bright and certainly not harsh or sibilance.
- A intimate sound, where the band are playing in a room near you but not too close.
- Not too much bass, the bass on my k271 are great but lacking the sub-bass.
- And detailed.

Is it possible that such an headphone exist ?

I'm considering in order ;the K340,the HD 600, HD650, K240 sextetts,k272 HD modded and re-cabled, markl mod D5000 and the JVC DX1000.

Any advices ? Thanks you.
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 23
I guess the HD600/650 is the proband that mostly meets your requirements.

Keep away from the Sextetts, there are various versions and some of them only reach Portapro level (just so...)

I also can't recommend the DX1000, it has something awfully plasticish in its midrange. Works with electronica, but...

Budget solution: Keep your K271 and equip it with dyed DT770 pads from headphile...if you can convince them to sell a set (~50$ I guess).

Jun 7, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 23
I'd check out a Beyerdynamic DT-250 (250 ohm). I found the midrange pleasant and their major departures from the k271 are that they are less bright and have more deep bass. (And are missing the 6-8khz treble spike the k271's have). I had both for several months.

They are at least as comfortable as the k271, I found them less hot on the ears.

they may be dark sounding after the k271, but they have plenty of detail once you adjust.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM Post #4 of 23
Yeah i'm considering the HD650, i thinks i can find a boutique in my next city who sell it so i can try it, so no worries on this side.

Anyway this "dyed DT770 pads from headphile" got my attention, what the difference versus a regular DT770 pads ? Don't tell me it has wood inside.
icon10.gif
it is the "colored DT770V by headphile" of this post ?

I can also buy the regular DT770 or DT990 pads from thomann but i wonder if they fit the k271.

I was never thinking of "padrolling" the velour pads made a great change (especially on the bass) over the pleather stock wich are PAINFUL to wear.

I also trying the blue tack mod but it seem i need to de-solder and re-solder the cables to the driver so i abandon it.

The DT250 seem also interesting as some ultrasones.

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway this "dyed DT770 pads from headphile" got my attention, what the difference versus a regular DT770 pads ? Don't tell me it has wood inside.
icon10.gif
it is the "colored DT770V by headphile" of this post ?

Correct, this post. These pads simply lift the K271 to a level close to perfection (sweeet mids, smooth highs, well textured "audiophile" bass). At a german meet, they were rated to sound almost identical with the AT W100. I have a steady buy offer of that W100 owner who would like to have his beloved sound signature together with isolation (the AT has almost none).
I don't know what headphile did (except dyeing), but the foam inside the pads is significantly stiff than the DT770 pad stock foam.

Taped DT770 pads come close, but you get even more bass and a slight mids recession. Still better than stock though IMO.

I don't recommend buying pads at Thomann, they tend to grab whatever lays around and suits physically.

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 23
Yes.

Jun 8, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 23
They fit, and propably Larry doesn't know much about this "K271 market". He doesn't seem to be very eager anyway, one inquiry got rejected, and another one (friendlier and humblier) was answered like "Can't be really bothered, I need them for my Darth Beyers, but if you really need them, I want 50 bucks".

Jun 8, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 23
Yeah he did not test them on the k271, it fit but do they fit easily and keep well attached ? On this picture it seem you need to "clip" them on the phone to attach them, i don't know if you own them.

The headphile pads are just a colored stock dt770 or is it a custom pads made from scratch ? Because i can have them much cheaper from Thomann, i already buy the k271 velour pads from them and are in excellent condition.

Yes that right, 50$, quite expensive for an headphones pads but if it a nice upgrade its surely worth it.

Jun 9, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On this picture it seem you need to "clip" them on the phone to attach them, i don't know if you own them.

The headphile pads are just a colored stock dt770 or is it a custom pads made from scratch?

I've never seen such pads as displayed in the pics, but I've seen Ultrasone pads which follow that principle. I doubt that these are real Beyer pads.

Again, I don't know what the headphile pads "are" and what Larry did with them. My buddy NoXter tried just buying a set of stock DT770 velours pads and dyeing them to get something similar. I didn't work at all.

If you want a better K271, get the headphile pads. Don't try to achieve the same on a DIY "budget solution" because it will end up in a mess. If you can't be bothered to spend 50$ on a set of pads, you better keep your AKGs in their actual state and look for another headphone.

Jun 9, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #14 of 23
Hmm... the closest can that will fit the OP's requirement would be an HD600 recabled with SAA Equinox. This definitely will need more than the Compass to shine though preferably driven with a tube amp. It's a little bit to the darker side though.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the K702, Or the Pro-900.

I already own a K601 (with custom big foam inside), somewhat similar to the K701, they are very good for "live" music but i prefer the k271 overall.

@ nickchen > Well anyway i have money to spend, i will buy them and see/hear by myself.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by olblueyez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont see an amp in your signature partner. Maybe you need to look at Denon, AT, Grado, or Sony.

Fixed.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... the closest can that will fit the OP's requirement would be an HD600 recabled with SAA Equinox. This definitely will need more than the Compass to shine though preferably driven with a tube amp. It's a little bit to the darker side though.

I'm considering a WA6SE with black gates when i have the money, i know these headphones need a good amp, we will see in the future.
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back