What do you mean by "sound stage?"
Mar 25, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #31 of 35
Of course that's binaural, not stereo. If only all great live recordings were recorded binaurally for us headphone geeks.

Tim

Mar 25, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry, I could only make it about halfway through depth ques. Perhaps earlier in the day I'll be able to make it further. FWIW, I didn't find any revelations there.

Tim

Which is fine, but to my knowledge there is no other review nor even printed word electronic or other that even comes close to describing it as succinctly as darth nut does. It's very easy to read it and say "oh yeah of course duh I knew that already" but for someone to actually go ahead and convey it as such that others can read and learn from is outstanding. While reading it I myself didn't find the actual content "revelatory" as you stated I am more impressed with his ability to convey such a subjective aspect of headphone listening.

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by recstar24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f13/st...nership-40331/

The above link is a review by a headfi user darth nut. He is part of the old school, of which many of the newbs here do not know. This includes people like Kelly, Carlo, and to a certain extent Goredwings19. These individuals had fantastic ears and listening ability but also knew how to communicate and convey their thoughts well, plus they had the listening experience and comparative experience to back it up. But the above review tops it all. No other written word has gotten so close to the meaning of soundstage or conveyed the concept of headphone soundstage so perfect than the above review. I feel it should be required reading for all new head-fiers if they wish to truly be initiated into the headfi vernacular that we all share and use.

Yes it is long but maybe if you took the time to read it through you might learn something. He actually talks about another term called headstage which is different from soundstage but the transition is excellent. Very good reading, well worth it for the long read to absorb and take in everything he is saying. Too bad they just don't write them like that anymore. Also look at the fact his review used 4 YEARS of listening experience before writing it. A review written with long term experience will always be more valuable than one on short term. Today I see so many reviews pop up within 2 hours of receiving a product and being taken as the holy gospel for how the product sounds like, only to see that user change his mind about that product and flip it on the for sale forums in a month or two. Again, the above review should be required reading for all newbies.

I opened this thread in order to post just such a post as this.

For those who are put off by the frankly DREADFUL formatting of the review as it is in that link. I have a far more eye-friendly PDF.

Link

Mar 25, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened this thread in order to post just such a post as this.

For those who are put off by the frankly DREADFUL formatting of the review as it is in that link. I have a far more eye-friendly PDF.

Link

Excellent - should make great night time reading
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back