what do you listen to most?
Oct 29, 2004 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 33
I would have to say CD's on my main rig... though I have been listening to my computer-based rig a lot too since it is conveniently located.

Oct 29, 2004 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 33
I'm surprised two people listen to SACDs the most since the choice of titles is so small. I figure I'm around 60% CDs, 35% vinyl, and 5% DVD-A and radio. I'd listen to vinyl more, but CDs are more office-friendly than vinyl.

Oct 31, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 33
It's been vinyl almost exclusively for about a year now. Recently, however, I've discovered the stunning analog sound quality of pre-recorded reel to reel tape. About the only digital source I use nowadays is my iPod. I just LOVE analog. When even my wife commented that vinyl sounded better than Cds, I knew I was on to something.
biggrin.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #24 of 33
I mostly listen to lps , infact i have duplicated almost my entire cd collection with the vinyl versions due to the throw away prices of used lps , the only thing holding me back is the exessive high prices of new release vinyl compared to cd , sacd and dvd - A just dont have enough titles that i would be prepared to buy, i hope that both camps look to releasing far more classic rock and modern titles its the only way to keep the formats popular and if they dont survive i really hope that any new format coming in the future will allow back compatable feature so we could still enjoy any dvd - A and sacd we have collected, in closing i love all the current formats available its just that lps give me just a bit more sound quality over redbook cd , cheers .

Oct 31, 2004 at 6:46 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by daveman_84
If you were in the US you'd likely think otherwise!

Why ? Has it changed much for the past 10 yrs ? Imo Radio gives unpredicted listening pleasure (and other way round, but there's that 'channel' button).

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 33
In the US all radio has been "Clear-Channel-ized" (the FCC loosened restrictions on the number of radio stations that a signal company can own, and Clear Channel bought up as many as they could) so almost all stations now play pre-programmed top-40 hits (as mandated by record companies) for their respective genres.

EDIT: Okay not all stations are like that, but most are.

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 33
I listen a lot to the radio at home and in the car, but not to the local Clear Channel stations. We have a good public radio station that plays mostly classical music, plus an independent station and a public station that each play jazz. At work I listen to CDs.

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #28 of 33
Mostly CD's, some SACD's. Now that it was mentioned, I do listen to radio quiet a bit, in the car and also at home, especially NPR, like that station a lot. Just now for instance they were playing "Aleluya" by K.D. Lang, beautiful.

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:23 AM Post #29 of 33
Computers are holding their own quite well here. Convenience is king but one of these days we'll convince the hold-outs that this stuff sounds GREAT. I broke Ray Samuels down just last weekend after he'd vehemently denied the EMU 1212m's at another meet. It only took the right music, and the fact that I didn't approach him with a "challenge" that my computer would beat the crap out of his Meridian, as most people are wanting to prove.

Nov 4, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #30 of 33
45% redbook cd
45% tuner
5% SACD
5% vinyl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back