what do you guys use for hookup wire in your projects ?? (no text)
Oct 11, 2002 at 9:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

mikey

Head-Fier
nt

Oct 11, 2002 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 22
22 SWG with teflon insulation. Solid core silver with teflon spaghetti cut to fit is good, so is plated solid core copper. For tube filaments I like stranded. hndme.com has an excellent wire but is light on stuff to make interconnects or connect RCAs and outputs to boards with. For shielded cable or shielded pairs Allied Electronics or one of the other big mail order places.

Oct 11, 2002 at 3:22 PM Post #3 of 22
I like solid wire for tube amps 'cause the stranded goes out of tune too fast and you have to re-tighten it.

But seriously folks...

I use a stranded 24ga wire that is through-soldered so it's kinda stiff and flexible at the same time.

ok,
erix

Oct 11, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 22
Hmmm, maybe this is a good time to bring this up, but does hookup wire do THAT much? I mean, for my meta, I used pretty much generic stuff. Is that ok? It sounds great!

Oct 11, 2002 at 10:07 PM Post #5 of 22
I use some Belden brand stranded silver plated copper wire from Handmade. Good stuff.
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw

Is that ok? It sounds great!

Isn't that all that matters?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2002 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 22
eric343 I like the Kimber alot also use scraps of Kimber KCAG leftover from a Home Theator Install. But the longest lenght of this i have is less than 12 inches and most only a few in. Radioshack rainbow Wire is also Cool. The wire used is a reflection of merit for the Project. some require only the standard stuff (Rainbow Wire) others derserve The Kimber. By biggest complaint about Kimber besides being stiff ( This i think a trate of all high End Wire) is it breaks at the joint if moved alot. I have some Mill spec Teflon coated wire that is quite flexible. so I gess one quality that most of the Audio Wire gods demand is stiffness.

Oct 13, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 22
True. I'd imagine that people would drool over a power cord built out of the stuff used by cable TV companies for main trunk lines. (5mm thick solid copper center conductor, solid aluminum tubing for shield. Total diameter a good two centimeters. Minimum bend radius is at least 30cm.)

My other complaint with the Kimber is that it's too thick to fit into the holes on a META42 board, so I have to cut off a few of the conductors.

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:57 AM Post #10 of 22
I use 26ga solid silver wire for signal lines and 20ga stranded copper for power lines. Both teflon insulated and both from Handmade Audio.

I've got a question for you guys: anyone have any tips for threading long runs of Handmade's silver wire into the teflon insulation? I've tried twice to do a long run. Both times it got progressively harder to feed until I finally hit the wall at about 6 feet. I'd like to be able to do a run of about 12 feet.

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #11 of 22
hi, i like the kimber tcss too but its getting a bit tough to find in singapore - i am in the process of getting a comfortable quantity from percy audio which should see me through a good number of projects. the only thing that bothers me is that perfboard holes are kinda small for tcss - no problems with hard wiring - question - would there be any degradation in trimming the tcss - it has seven strands of which 3 are thick and 4 are thin strands (i think). i have used it like this in one situation but cant help but feel that its not right - what do you guys think? anyone have the same experience with tcss and perfboards?

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:43 AM Post #12 of 22
Kimber is not PC Board frendly The Holes have to be made to acomidate 18 ga wire and most boards have smaller Holes than this. In addition bend the Cable a few times where it is soldered into the Board and it will break off quicker than solid wire will. Surly if the Space industry can have made silver wire with teflon Inslation that is flexible the High End Wire gods can. **** i am sure NASA dose not pay anymore than $100 USD a foot that KCAG cost. I use Kimber cable alot But i hate to work with it. Maby if i complain to Ray Kimber?

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:35 PM Post #15 of 22
Toe, it's very difficult and apart from using a lubricant (mineral oil, perhaps try that finegold contact treatment?) I don't think you can go much longer. Why not try getting the next gauge of spaghetti up from the wire size? It can't be too loose.

What you could do is try plumber's tape, that white teflon stuff. I wouldn't recommend it if you were using any dangerous voltages or in a situation where a short could damage any of your equipment. Capacitance might be a problem since the wires would be closer together. And it could take a long, long time. Actually I probably wouldn't recommend it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back