What do you guys think of my new computer?
Apr 17, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 35
Mhmmm, hmmm, hmmm - ok, to be true:

I'd worry about

- the ugly case

- too many drives

- the fanless psu

- not really plenty of RAM for Photoshop

All in all not the combination I'd choose. Sorry - no offence meant.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 17, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #17 of 35
I suggest getting 7600GT instead. I played with both X1800GTO and 7600GT and liked 7600GT more. Also, why are you getting so many HDDs? Just get a big one and partition it. Also get AMD X2 if you will be doing encoding.

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 35
M hazing.......ly bright... I hate bright lights on computers, drives me nuts. Not a bad setup, though you seem to have many hard drives of different sizes. Interesting...

Apr 17, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #20 of 35
Mmm, after consideration, I don't really mind the Intel chip. IMHO, it's just too hot for my taste, and for the price, I'd rather get a dual-core.

The RAM should be fine.

I suggest getting a pair of 200 - 300GB HDD's in SATA and partitioning them or running raid, it would greatly simplify the setup. Also, Raptors are not really worth it. Unless you have a particular reason for this arrangement?

7600GT seems to be the best bet for a midlevel video card.

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #23 of 35
Imagine all the audio equiptment you could of got instead
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #25 of 35
My 2 cents:

-Needs a dual core. Dual cores will be standards soon(er or later)
-Love the Kandalf
smily_headphones1.gif

-Raptors arent worth it; just put two 7200 rpm SATA drives in a RAID 0 config and that should almost equal the speed.
-PSU needs to be dumped, Coolmax is not reliable. Anything from OCZ I would recommend, there are a few other brands like Fortron and PC Power + Cooling too, but stay away from Antec; theyve been having problems lately
-Get a 7 series or 1xxx series GPU

I'm a huge supporter of the 939 opterons, they absolutely rock
smily_headphones1.gif
I have a 165 @ 2808 mhz and had a 148 at 3.1ghz but it died after I cut the IHS off of it
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #26 of 35
<--- AMD Fan

but you have a nice setup, congrats

Apr 17, 2006 at 3:42 AM Post #27 of 35
Gonna have to agree with some others here.

-Case, I had a thermaltake.. personally think they are crap. For price could have went Lian Li. Thermaltake cases are just a pain to me personally.

-PSU eh

-CPU I would have personally went AMD due to price/performance and they beat Intel most the time nowadays, dual core would have been nice if you do a lot of photoshoping and such.

-Ram.. need timings. like #-#-#-#

-Video Card - eh.. nowadays I wouldn't consider anything under a 7800GT

..my 2 cents, sorry.

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #29 of 35
I should mention that I'm sixteen and since this was my money, I had a $2000 budget cap. I didn't want to go AMD because I prefer Intel, 2gbs of ram is more than enough for photoshopping, dual core meh, I'll upgrade when there are more applications that'll take full advantage of it. As for the case and powersupply I had a Turbocool SSI 850w psu and honestly that was overkill and there isn't much difference in performance between the coolmax and the Turbo, the case I didn't want to go Lian Li because I wanted something with a lot of air flow and the Lian Li V my dad has always overheats. I'll probably upgrade the video card though to a 7800GT or a Radeon all in wonder, I didn't think I would need it but maybe I do, thanks for your suggestions.

Apr 17, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #30 of 35
I hope you have some of that 2000 left because otherwise, you got worked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back