What do you do with unwanted CDs?
Jul 30, 2005 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

viator122

Headphoneus Supremus
What does everyone do with unwanted CDs? I've got a stack sitting here that no one on Head-Fi seems to want. Here's what I've been considering:

eBay - Seems like it's full of criminals; I'd be wary of selling here.

Amazon.com - Seems like a good process, but they take $.99 plus %15. That's lot for a used CD selling for $7.

SecondSpin - The prices at which they'll buy are, quite frankly, insulting. I'd rather give these away here than sell a mint condition CD for $2.

So what do you all do with used CDs you don't want anymore? Some of this stuff is imported/rare, but still desirable.

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #2 of 15
If you live in a big city go sell them in a music store. I think Kims in NYC gives you between $4 and $6 per cd. They then sell them for $2-$4 more.

Jul 30, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #3 of 15
You will often get much more for used CDs selling through Amazon than any local used CD store will pay you. The downside is that is takes longer and you need to have shipping/packing supplies on hand.

If 50 people are selling the same CD obviously the price will be very low, laws of supply and demand at work. I have sold hundreds of used Cds at Amazon last few years and also buy used when it makes sense.

Jul 30, 2005 at 1:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Hmm, I haven't bought that many CDs compared to a lot of folks here, I assume. Other than music that I listened to in my teens/early 20s (most of which was sold to used music stores and not fit for charity), the few Cds/LPs that I have gotten rid of, I gave to family/friends. I like to keep music that I might not like at the time (even albums/compilations that I liked prior) or after a few spins, because you never know how your perspective/taste will change. But I can see how space could be an issue, and if you have a lot of currently unwanted CDs.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 15
We've given lots to our library, and I've sold lots on ebay. Never had any problem with any ebay sale. One benefit of giving CDs to your library is that you can hear them again if you ever want to.

Jul 30, 2005 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 15
Ever think about what you're going to do with them when you die? Unpleasant thoughts, yes, but for serious collectors, this is an issue. At 6000 and counting, the CDs are multiplying. Who the heck will want all this? And when CDs are replaced by a newer, better technology, will anyone want them at any price?

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 15
I discussed this posting with my wife, and she mentioned the following. That a previous generation of oldsters faced the same concern regarding their vinyl record collections, some of which were vast. Well, these vinyl records got a second life in the used market, and offered an inexpensive entry to a new generation of audiophiles. I think that the same will happen with our current CD technology when it's displaced by a more modern and improved one. I think that our used CDs will continue to circulate for decades, and will thereby be enjoyed by future generations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub
Ever think about what you're going to do with them when you die? Unpleasant thoughts, yes, but for serious collectors, this is an issue. At 6000 and counting, the CDs are multiplying. Who the heck will want all this? And when CDs are replaced by a newer, better technology, will anyone want them at any price?

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 15
I give them away to either hospitals or libraries if I don't want them. I also have loads of friends that are only too happy to take them off my hands. I have not tried selling them, but with so many used cd stores in NYC, it's a definite possibility for the more expensive ones.

Jul 30, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 15
Do any of you remember the website Switchhouse.com? It was a web based cd trading service. Registered members would create a listing of all of their cd's and separated them into a "trade list" and a "wanted list," and you would find the cd you wanted that way. Everyone just paid for shipping one-way and a small fee to the website. It was incredible. But I guess they weren't making enough money off of it so it came down after a couple of months.

We should definitely start a mini Switchhouse here on head-fi. I bet between the 28,663 members, we must have tons of cd's that are just collecting dust between all of us.

Aug 1, 2005 at 4:24 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Do any of you remember the website Switchhouse.com? It was a web based cd trading service. Registered members would create a listing of all of their cd's and separated them into a "trade list" and a "wanted list," and you would find the cd you wanted that way. Everyone just paid for shipping one-way and a small fee to the website. It was incredible. But I guess they weren't making enough money off of it so it came down after a couple of months.

We should definitely start a mini Switchhouse here on head-fi. I bet between the 28,663 members, we must have tons of cd's that are just collecting dust between all of us.

good idea!

JC

Aug 1, 2005 at 2:05 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I use spun.com, check it out.

I just looked at that site. I have a CD that sells new for $38.49 on Amazon. Spun is offering $5. I wouldn't sell for that price - this disc is in mint condition.

Aug 1, 2005 at 7:03 PM Post #14 of 15
I sell mine at Amoeba here in San Francisco. I put rare ones up for auction on eBay. I'm too lazy to do the Amazon resell thing.
smily_headphones1.gif
!

I don't think eBay is full of criminals. I've performed dozens of eBay transactions over the years, with no major problems. As in most situations: A little common sense goes a long way.

Jeffery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back