What Do You Do When It Starts Raining?
Aug 4, 2015 at 6:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MICHAELSD

Headphoneus Supremus
One of my main concerns wearing my M-100 outside, especially at night when it can tend to rain even without it being in the forecast, is that it will start raining and I will have nowhere suitable to store my headphones. If full-size headphones were pocketable, which is far from the case even for a foldable pair, then it would be a more obvious answer. Although I am sure this particular headphone could withstand a little rain, I would rather not expose it to the elements. 

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 6
  One of my main concerns wearing my M-100 outside, especially at night when it can tend to rain even without it being in the forecast, is that it will start raining and I will have nowhere suitable to store my headphones. If full-size headphones were pocketable, which is far from the case even for a foldable pair, then it would be a more obvious answer. Although I am sure this particular headphone could withstand a little rain, I would rather not expose it to the elements. 

If I feel even the slightest chance of rain is about, I pocket a large zip-lock bag before I head out. Some kind of weatherproof case/bag is probably more sexy, but it serves the same purpose.

Aug 9, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 6
Use a high quality bag for starters, and then stash the headphones/IEMs in there when it starts pouring. Something like Timbuk2 with a water proof lining under the cover flap designed to not leave a gap when folded, and then every exterior surface is water-resistant nylon. If you use a bike note that your posture will expose more of the surfaces other than the cover flap, so as much as it's popular with bikers, go for other brands specifically made for bike messengers.

Personally I prefer the ergonomics of my Crumpler bags (wider straps, thicker padding for the backpacks with more air channels, etc), but I use my Timbuk2 for rainy  weather since the Crumplers have a design compromise that doesn't work outside of a drier climate like Australia. They're all camera bags so it's great that the interior lining is soft material that velcro can attach to, so you can position the dividers any way you want and nothing in the interior will be abrasive against anything, but the problem is that the outer surface isn't water-proof. When water gets in through the gaps or through the material itself it will soak through into the cushy interior, and it will have a hard time drying off and will stink (if you live in SEAsia or anywhere just as humid, you might even get mold growing in there). What I did when mine got soaked is wash it in soap, then hung the damn thing upside down with a fan blowing at it from below.

A lot of older Timbuk2 backpacks with laptop pockets are on sale on Amazon right now, and they're perfect for work since they have a bottle opener. Why? Well, Friday nights with the boys and even with the boss if he's a cool dude. I can pack my entire desktop system in there if I wrapped each piece of gear in bubble wrap, and that's with a laptop and its charger in there. Water bottle pocket can hold a folding umbrella.

At the same time, investing on a decent bag has health benefits. Look up how chicks get "big bag syndrome" because of all those giant, very fashionable leather bags they use and cram too much stuff in them. I know people in law school who use those bags to already look like lawyers, lugging around a Macbook and several codals in expensive leather handbags. I'm running around with a Timbuk2 (or Crumpler) that doesn't make me look like some big shot but my back's happy...oh, wait, scratch that. One assistant dean of my college uses a Herschel for the same reasons (he didn't need the size of the Little America but picked it up for the padding). Actually, in our grad school, it's either Herschel, Crumpler, Timbuk2, or the occasional lady with big bag syndrome.

The only bag I have from another brand is a BBP Messenger. It's great for anything other than public transport - it's large but the way you use a messenger vs a backpack is that it sides diagonally across your back. Ergonomics are fantastic but it's a total b*tch in a crowded train.

Aug 10, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 6
I stick them in my goruck gr1  daypack! completely waterproof (well from downpour anyway  
biggrin.gif
 )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back