What do you call the sound of hitting a (is it snare)?
Nov 12, 2005 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cyrilix

500+ Head-Fier
I'm just listening to some electronic music and you know how there's the bass with a thumb, then, there's also the sound of hitting a certain instrument which produces a "ch" sound.

I'm wondering what that would be called and whether it would fit under treble, or mids. It doesn't seem very high in the frequency scale, yet I may be wrong. I'm testing this on a friend's Bose Triports, and I find that that sound is very messy compared to my MS-1s.

Nov 12, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #2 of 6
In the classic sense, it's the "Snare" sample from an old Roland 808. The retro "BOOM, CHK" dance beat is the fake kick drum-snare hit combo. If you hear something like a "BOOM (tss) CHK (tss)" when they're getting fancy, it's the sampler hitting the "High Hat" button inbetween.

Don't worry, you can still be an audiophile and enjoy sampled music. I particularly love it when you can get such resolution that you can hear the samples getting "spliced" in, and even the samples can be distinguished between actual recorded bits of real instruments versus an analog-synthesized wave form.

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #3 of 6
Oh ok, thanks a lot. I knew I had seen those words somewhere when I fiddled around with Fruityloops sometime a few years ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know much about the Bose Triports' bass though. It doesn't sound half bad. Am I wrong?

Nov 12, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Oh ok, thanks a lot. I knew I had seen those words somewhere when I fiddled around with Fruityloops sometime a few years ago.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't know much about the Bose Triports' bass though. It doesn't sound half bad. Am I wrong?

nah, they aren't half bad. the problem is, the cost is twice bad. so put the two together and you get a horrible price/performance ratio. plus triports have a tendency to break.
blink.gif

Nov 12, 2005 at 5:18 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz
Of course the Triports aren't bad at all. Remember the lion...

Nice story.
smily_headphones1.gif

I still prefer my MS-1s by FAR, and they're cheaper too, but I really don't know what kinds of aural bliss the HD580 range of sound quality can provide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back