What do ya'll think about ROTK: EE??
Dec 16, 2004 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

zeplin

1000+ Head-Fier
Me being the LOTR freak that I am, I of course bought it the second it came out, and to no surprize it was simply amazing!! WOW! One of the many ways it can be described is in one phrase...THE BEST EVER! It is by far better than the other two EE, althought the first one FOTR, is still a close second. But if you even remotely like LOTR, get this version of ROTK!!! You're in for a surprize with not just added scenes but what PJ decided to put in those extra scenes! Awhile back he was asked about the Mouth of Sauron and if he was in the ROTK at all? PJ said I'm sorry, but I did not put it in! I had said to my bro at that time that you never know with PJ, he may either be tricking us, or he might also go back to shoot it after the fact like he had done so with the flashback scene in TT with Faramir and his bro Boromir + father/Denethor after a battle at Osgilioth. Lo and behold, here it is, the Mouth of Sauron and all his freaky glory--who is perhaps one of the most greaky/scariest characters in all of the movies!! Please, do yourself a favor and either go pick up a copy, or at the very least go see it somewhere!!!! You WILL NOT be let down!

Dec 16, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #2 of 24
hehe all the snarling and growling by the mouth of sauron guy was pretty cheesey ... a little overdone imho.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 24
We got it for Christmas; I imagine we'll be forced to sit down and watch all three EE back to back. Personally, I'd rather see the Star Wars trilogy that's also under the tree, but who am I to complain against the mighty powers of Ambiguously Gay Elves...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Really, people, how much longer can we stretch the ending of ROTK out? I thought it was about an hour too long in the theatrical version. They say good bye, Frodo takes his dearly-soon-to-be-departed Uncle out on a boat, everyone cries, yada yada, movie's over. How difficult is that?

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
We got it for Christmas; I imagine we'll be forced to sit down and watch all three EE back to back. Personally, I'd rather see the Star Wars trilogy that's also under the tree, but who am I to complain against the mighty powers of Ambiguously Gay Elves...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Really, people, how much longer can we stretch the ending of ROTK out? I thought it was about an hour too long in the theatrical version. They say good bye, Frodo takes his dearly-soon-to-be-departed Uncle out on a boat, everyone cries, yada yada, movie's over. How difficult is that?

And the LOTR vs SW battle commences!

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:40 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Murdoch
And the LOTR vs SW battle commences!

No, no, no... What have I done?
eek.gif

Dec 17, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 24
I've detected 7 snaps / pops and 1 saturation / compression-distortion on the second disk.

The music score seems different to me - it doesn't evoke the same disgust as when I saw the non-extended version.

But those pops... I don't know. Anyone else detect them?

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:23 AM Post #9 of 24
It was brilliant. The additions were cool, although one scene in particular was made a lot less powerful because of just a few extra seconds. As usual, the additions were all nice, but I could definitely see why they were cut. Haven't got the dvd in the mail yet, but I'm sure the extra materials will be up to previous snuff.

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 24
Cool concept, but I can see why they cut this. The skulls are ridiculously huge!! Probably the worst effect shot in the series.

ugh.png

I loved this unique orc. I acually pictured orcs to look more like this as a kid when I read the book than the standard orcs of the movie.

noseguy.png

Seems like a lot of work went into the design of this guy, only to be totally erased from the movie.

sdfdslfhaswgfauswf9wefr2w9f923f289f98398238928382e.png

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
No, no, no... What have I done?
eek.gif

Good, good your powers have made you strong and powerful.....now strike him down and join me.....

Dec 17, 2004 at 3:45 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
Good, good your powers have made you strong and powerful.....now strike him down and join me.....

Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side.

Dec 17, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #13 of 24
I picked up the movie yesterday and my wife and I watched the first disc. The second disc will be viewed tonight. So far...*spoiler warning*....

I'm not so thrilled about the Saruman death sequence. Frankly...it was a lame inclusion. Why they couldn't have filmed the last bit of the novels is beyond me. Sure with the time being 3 hours + I can understand excluding it from the theatrical release but with all the green these films brought in...I see no reason they could not have filmed the last bit in the shire where Saruman really dies.

Oh well! I can't be overly critical, these movies surpassed my expectations by such a large margin that small creative licensing doesn't bother me too too much. I'll write more after the second disc.

Dec 17, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #14 of 24
Before, I really wished that they had included the real ending. I found the fate of Saruman in the non EE just left in the tower to be quite stupid.

I understand that it is too long to include the real ending, so at least I am happy that PJ has Saruman killed by Wormtounge even if it is surrounded by another context.

As for the movie on whole, I too like the EE alot, I find it much better paced and you get a better feeling for surroundings and different plots.

Leto, that new orch is absolutely awsomly grim!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back