What do u think of Wa22 tubes?
May 16, 2015 at 6:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Sonic Guild

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,

I am getting the Wa22 very soon and I decided to upgrade to the suggested tubes by Woo:

7236, GE 6SN7GT NOS tubes, Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier.

Are they good tubes for the LCD3 Fazor? 
I know this is a subjective topic, but your help is highly appreciated :)

I don't like recessed highs and bloomy bass that bleeds all over the rest of frequencies. I never heard tube amp before? 

Jun 5, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 8
  Hello,

I am getting the Wa22 very soon and I decided to upgrade to the suggested tubes by Woo:

7236, GE 6SN7GT NOS tubes, Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier.

Are they good tubes for the LCD3 Fazor? 
I know this is a subjective topic, but your help is highly appreciated :)

I don't like recessed highs and bloomy bass that bleeds all over the rest of frequencies. I never heard tube amp before? 

7236 is a nice neutral powerful tube. It has more gain than a normal 6080 power tube. A good tube from Woo. Not a bad price either.

GE 6SN7GT. A Sylvania made tube. Super bright. Very detailed. Not my thing.

Sophia Princess. Awful. It is just a glow show. The nicest looking rectifier but not great sound. Not very reliable either. The rectifier is very important in the WA22. It makes a big difference. The Brimar 5Z4GY is a far superior rectifier and so cheap from Langrex tubes. Dynamic, fast, clean bass with a nicely rendered mid-range. Just not as nice looking.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #3 of 8

7236 is a nice neutral powerful tube. It has more gain than a normal 6080 power tube. A good tube from Woo. Not a bad price either.

GE 6SN7GT. A Sylvania made tube. Super bright. Very detailed. Not my thing.

Sophia Princess. Awful. It is just a glow show. The nicest looking rectifier but not great sound. Not very reliable either. The rectifier is very important in the WA22. It makes a big difference. The Brimar 5Z4GY is a far superior rectifier and so cheap from Langrex tubes. Dynamic, fast, clean bass with a nicely rendered mid-range. Just not as nice looking.

What is the alternative to the GE 6SN7GT?  

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4 of 8
What is the alternative to the GE 6SN7GT?  

In lame terms drive tubes can be like this:

Sylvania, GE 6SN7 = Bright and ultra detailed. Very dry.

Raytheon, NU, Tung-Sol 6SN7, NU, Tung-Sol 6F8G = Neutral with a warm mid-range push. My favorite tube is the Tung-Sol Round Plate 6F8G.

RCA 6SN7 clear glass or greyglass = Dark. Big bass, big mid-range with a little treble roll. A good starter tube.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. Plus what the other tubes are doing to the chain. For example you wouldn't want the dark RCA teamed up with a dark power tube. It will be lifeless. It might work very nicely with a neutral power tube tho.

Jun 5, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 8
In lame terms drive tubes can be like this:

Sylvania, GE 6SN7 = Bright and ultra detailed. Very dry.

Raytheon, NU, Tung-Sol 6SN7, NU, Tung-Sol 6F8G = Neutral with a warm mid-range push. My favorite tube is the Tung-Sol Round Plate 6F8G.

RCA 6SN7 clear glass or greyglass = Dark. Big bass, big mid-range with a little treble roll. A good starter tube.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. Plus what the other tubes are doing to the chain. For example you wouldn't want the dark RCA teamed up with a dark power tube. It will be lifeless. It might work very nicely with a neutral power tube tho.

The 5Z4GY costs around $45 (please double check the links)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5Z4GY-CV1863-KB-FE-STC-BRIMAR-NOS-BOXED-/310653909306

The Tung-Sol 6F8G $250 (please double check the links)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-VT-99-6F8G-TUNG-SOL-NOS-MATCHED-Tube-Lampe-TSF-Valve-Valvola-Rohre-Valvula-/400926983236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d591c4444

So the combination is The 5Z4GY + Tung-Sol 6F8G + 7236, Right?

Can u describe the sound of this combination?

Jun 5, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 8
The 5Z4GY costs around $45 (please double check the links)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/5Z4GY-CV1863-KB-FE-STC-BRIMAR-NOS-BOXED-/310653909306

The Tung-Sol 6F8G $250 (please double check the links)
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2x-VT-99-6F8G-TUNG-SOL-NOS-MATCHED-Tube-Lampe-TSF-Valve-Valvola-Rohre-Valvula-/400926983236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5d591c4444

So the combination is The 5Z4GY + Tung-Sol 6F8G + 7236, Right?

Can u describe the sound of this combination?

That is the right rectifier from the best seller. These are sold by Langrex in the UK. You can get them 5 quid cheaper direct. It might be easier to just deal with them on eSlay tho.

Those are the wrong Tung-Sols and are not worth the $$'s. They are a flat plate version. What you want is the round plate option. I actually use the Tung-Sol round plate 6C8g. Exactly the same as the 6F8g with a slight higher gain and lower heater voltage. I get these for $80. I checked with Jack Woo and he said go for it as they are fine on the WA22.

The sound: The rectifier supplies a very dynamic silky lush sound. Extends very high and low. The power tubes are high gain with a very fast pace retaining the dynamic sound and silky presentation of the rectifier. The drive tubes retain the whole sound. No treble roll. Treble is sweet. I am very treble sensitive and I find the treble seductive with the TS. Bass is clean. Almost creamy. A very slight bump in the mid-range.

All together. Silky, fast, lush and creamy. Nice treble detail increases the soundstage. The whole tone has a warm signature. Even the coldest music never gets harsh, never feels icey.
I am listening to this tube arrangement accept the TS 7236 power tubes are Mullard 6080's. I am listening to Amy Winehouse which can get very icey cold sounding. Those cold trebles sound lush instead of cold.

All this is suggestive evaluation.

WA22 loaded with Brimar 5Z4GY, Mullard 6080's and Tung-Sol 6C8g's

Sep 6, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 8
G'Day Badas,

Do you consider that the Brimar 5Z4GY, Mullard 6080's and Tung-Sol 6C8g's would be a good match for the HD800?

I have not purchased the WA22 as yet and am looking to find upgrade tubes that would suit the HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back