What do the different tags mean when tagging music?
Sep 25, 2011 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

miceblue

Headphoneus Supremus
Can anyone care to explain what these tags are?

Artist (track artist?)
Album Artist (like in iTunes)
CD Artist (like in EAC)
CD Performer (like in EAC)
Composer (track composer?)
CD Composer (like in EAC)

I have an album called The Greatest Guitar Concertos by John Williams. One example of a song on the CD is "Joaquin Rodrigo / Concierto de Aranjuez  1 Allegro con spirito" by the Philharmonia Orchestra; Louis Fremaux.

Relating to the above tags, who is John Williams, who is Joaquin Rodrigo, the Philharmonia Orchestra, and Louis Fremaux.

I am so confused...

Thank you so much for any help you guys can provide.

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 3
Unfortunately classical music doesn't work well with conventional tagging. You can choose whatever tagging system works but be consistent. Using custom tags and a media player that can read them (eg foobar) allows for more freedom. I use 'ensemble' and 'soloist' tags. I throw everything that doesn't fit into my tags into the 'comment' field so that I don't lose any information.

Not sure what you could do with your chosen tags beyond cramming everything into single fields or trimming things off. I suppose I would prioritize the soloist and use him for the artsist tags.

the "CD 'X'" tags are better suited for pop CDs. Pretty meaningless for a lot of classical.

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Unfortunately classical music doesn't work well with conventional tagging. You can choose whatever tagging system works but be consistent. Using custom tags and a media player that can read them (eg foobar) allows for more freedom. I use 'ensemble' and 'soloist' tags. I throw everything that doesn't fit into my tags into the 'comment' field so that I don't lose any information.

Not sure what you could do with your chosen tags beyond cramming everything into single fields or trimming things off. I suppose I would prioritize the soloist and use him for the artsist tags.

the "CD 'X'" tags are better suited for pop CDs. Pretty meaningless for a lot of classical.

I see. Darn tags, hahahaha. Thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back