What do Sennheiser 650s do best?
May 13, 2007 at 5:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

mcmyers

100+ Head-Fier
So I've been leaning toward the Senn 650s as the final piece in my portable rig, which currently consists of imod, hornet, and 595s. I'm drawn to the 650 because I love a big soundstage, and I'm too sensitive to high frequencies to enjoy Grados (I fear any hfs that are considered very bright).

But here's the thing. Some people have claimed that the 650s have artificially exaggerated bass, and that this was a ploy on Sennheiser's part to cater to fans of contemporary music, which tends to have a lot of bass. If you follow this logic, 650s should sound good with contemporary music, and not so good with classical. That would be fine with me, since I don't listen to much classical. But a lot of reviews of the 650s say that it sounds best with classical and acoustic music, and might be a little too laid back for rock, etc.

So which is it? Too much bass for classical, or too refined for rock, hip hop and electronica? I'd prefer that you not vote if you haven't listened to the 650s extensively. And if you have experience amping 650s with a hornet, I'd love to know what you thought/think.

May 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 34
Well, for me portable means that I can listen to music while sitting in the hammock, doing the dishes, cleaning the living room, working in my office, or lying on the couch, all without having to unplug or move anything too large.

May 13, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 34
they are in intriguing piece of equipment. if you follow posts about them, they are frequently sold and then repurchased at a later date, sometimes more than once. I like them, I don't love them; they are better w/Zu cables for me and run well out of a Heed but can be too congested and bloated at times.Other times they are just about perfect. Depends on the music and depends on me.

May 13, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #6 of 34
Properly amped the HD580/6X0 do less wrong than any phone I've tried in their price range across all genres (which doesn't mean I don't prefer others for specialized cases). Properly amped is little more difficult to do portably (as is a source to do justice). You may do better going HD580 and spending the extra on a very good portable/transportable amp (if you don't already have one). Or also having a MS1 or HD595 around for special cases (the HD580 is so cheap now).

I haven't heard the Hornet, put I did use the SR71 for quite some time. Great smooth amp, but paired with a laid back source (iPod) and laid back phone (Senns) I think you need something more forward/agressive somewhere in the chain. Not sure your source.

May 13, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Properly amped the HD580/6X0 do less wrong than any phone I've tried in their price range across all genres (which doesn't mean I don't prefer others for specialized cases). Properly amped is little more difficult to do portably (as is a source to do justice). You may do better going HD580 and spending the extra on a very good portable/transportable amp (if you don't already have one). Or also having a MS1 or HD595 around for special cases (the HD580 is so cheap now).

I haven't heard the Hornet, put I did use the SR71 for quite some time. Great smooth amp, but paired with a laid back source (iPod) and laid back phone (Senns) I think you need something more forward/agressive somewhere in the chain. Not sure your source.

Yeah, that's definitely one of my concerns. I get the impression that 650s sound great with great systems, but that a lot of people are disappointed by them from lower end sources and amps. I don't know if the imod + hornet is enough to do them justice. But I was under the impression that the hornet was a fairly aggressive amp, certainly more aggressive than the SR-71.

May 13, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #8 of 34
I think a common misconception of the HD650 is that it's high frequencies are warm and laid back. A more accurate description is that it's mid-treble, around 6 to 10khz is laid back. The actual top octave of 10 to 20khz is very present and extended, more so than Grado's in my opinion. This accurate upper treble response is why I like my 650s very much with classical, instrumental, and vocals. But it is also why the Senns aren't really a rock can, the high sheen of that upper octave can sound clinical and cold with percussion and guitars. IMO, the Sennheiser are both warm (in the bass) and cold (in the treble). To describe them purely as a warm headphone is less than accurate.

With nicer sources and amplification, that high sheen becomes more liquid and airy, which may be why many claim the Senns need a high-end setup to sound their best.

May 13, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #9 of 34
I find the HD650s to sound very good with nearly all types of music except perhaps hard electric guitar rock. They are smooth and well-balanced, with excellent treble extension.

In the grand scheme of things, the HD650s really do not have that much bass at all, IMO. There are plenty of headphones that have far, far more bass than they do.

May 13, 2007 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmyers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you be any more specific about which music they do well?

properly amped (like a Heed) they do classical and rich
orchestral music well. they may be too thick for hard rock.
they carry a lofty rep because they are able to scale well.

May 13, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #11 of 34
I think they do everything well from the time I've trialled the headset out. Not massive improvements over a first generation HD595 with tons of hours of burn-in, but still luxurious sound. very relaxing - good for classical.

I have the SA5000s for when I want pure detail and edginess and 'wow'. And I want the HD650s for all the same stuff but for the warm soft feeling inside.

May 13, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #12 of 34
mcmyers, I see you already have the HD595. Are you planning on keeping them? If so the double Senn combo covers a lot of ground, even if you end up feeling the HD580/6X0 doesn't work for specific genres (or in my case specific artists - I reach for HD595 for Bowie/Dylan for instance). I have some Ultrasones I'm evaluating, but otherwise it's still surprising to me after exploring other manufactures I've ended up with multiple Senns covering the full-sized bases. That was not be design. The K701 should also be considered as it's so comparable (and it really comes down to which flaws bother you the most), but its power concerns/system synergy are a little more problematic in my experience, and I can only imagine more so portably (even with a lower impedance). Great phone though and may address some of your concerns. And also if you don't plan on using other than portably/transportably let me repeat the HD580 suggestion. On much equipment they're surprisingly close to the HD650 at 1/3 the price. Might as well save some dough. Not sure how much public radio is paying lately.
wink.gif

Last comment is although the terms are used interchangeably often around here:
HD595: more forward
HD580/6X0: more intimate

May 13, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the HD650s to sound very good with nearly all types of music except perhaps hard electric guitar rock. They are smooth and well-balanced, with excellent treble extension.

In the grand scheme of things, the HD650s really do not have that much bass at all, IMO. There are plenty of headphones that have far, far more bass than they do.

This pretty much sums it up.
Except, when driven balanced, they do hard electric guitar rock excellent too.
What they do best of all headphones is that they give "body" to the music.

May 13, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 34
I've love to hear why the near 20% (at this point) thinks the HD650 is not good for even Classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back