What do K1000s sound like when they're improperly driven?
Sep 8, 2010 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just wondering cause I'm listening to the 2nd pair of K1000s on my system which produces very strange metallic sounding artifacts. I love the headphones aside from this, but when I listen to them at a fair volume level they produce metalic noises especially on piano passages.  At first I thought it was my amp but I shipped the amp off to the maker and he inspected it and said it was 100% fine, so I am thinking that maybe the amp is just not the right match for the K1000 to be driven at volume which I would enjoy.  Another weird thing I notice is once the metallic sound starts to happen at a loudish level, even when I lower it the metallic artifacts continue for a while.  I've changed tubes and nothing changes with this issue.

The amp by the way is the TTVJ 307a.  Has anyone had experience under-powering the K1000.  Could they describe the sound to me?

-Dave

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 11
Underpowered K-1000s don't sound metallic in my experience. They just loose dynamics and impact and overall become more mid-level than top level phones. I've never heard the 307 with the K-1000s, so I can't say whether it's a miss match or not. I have heard tube amps that make the K-1000s bright, so it's not out of the question just because it's a tube amp. 

Sep 8, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #3 of 11
I haven't heard any metallic sounds, I just get poor bass response and control when the K-1000 is underamped. Have you tried the K-1000 with anything besides the 307A? If you have a speaker amp, give it a try.

Sep 9, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
It appears that what I'm hearing is the rattling of a grill.  When I hold the grill as its making the sound the sound stops.  How do I permanently fix this?

I would suggest that you remove the grills and find what is making contact with them,I believe others have had this same problem in the past but do not recall which thread it was.

I think it had something to do with the paste/glue used on the wires hitting the grill,but not sure.

It is an easy procedure,I had to do it with a pair of mine when little bits of foam from the box lid decided to make a nest in the driver.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Hmm well I enjoy the K1000 very much with just the HLLY T-Amp 20 I use with it. Sounds fine. I think there is just a problem with your k1000. I actually used to have the K1000 outer grilles off (Patrick82's K1000 these are) and have just used sticky tape to keep them in place. No odd sounds or anything. I don't want to use glue on these as they are not mine. Temporary fix but I don't get any rattling other than the whole entire K1000 rumbles (and vibrations get sent through the cable) from the bass. These are bass light too...

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #7 of 11
What kind of input tubes you been using/rolling? They sure can produce some metallic tone, at least it does in my Cary when Sophias 6SN7 been used as input, while Bad Boys change the tonality pretty nicely/good. I never tried any apm uses 7N7 or  5V4GB type either. Can you use GZ34 or other types of 5V4GB? If yes, you may want to try some Mullards.

Sep 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 11
I'd use a touch of rubber cement to secure the rattling grilles. Experiment with a few types - some will peel off and leave no residue, which is what you want. It'd be completely reversible.

Sep 11, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #11 of 11
Imo they loose some of their sparkling open-air sound when improperly drive, plus they loose general impact power.
Degrading their performance from top notch to upper mid level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back