What do I need to purchase to use my headphones to watch movies and play videogames?
Oct 8, 2014 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Goobertastic

New Head-Fier
I already have a music system set up with a Marantz cd 5004 Schiit Asgard 2 and The Sennheiser hd 650, but what do I need to purchase to experience hq sound for my tv ONLY using my headphones. I live in the house with other people and want to keep the noise to myself. I was thinking a receiver but I don't know what that does or how to hook it up. Do I need to hook up something to my tv or game system. I'm clueless sorry.

Oct 8, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
  I already have a music system set up with a Marantz cd 5004 Schiit Asgard 2 and The Sennheiser hd 650, but what do I need to purchase to experience hq sound for my tv ONLY using my headphones. I live in the house with other people and want to keep the noise to myself. I was thinking a receiver but I don't know what that does or how to hook it up. Do I need to hook up something to my tv or game system. I'm clueless sorry.

A modern A/V receiver would help.
Connect all your sources (using HDMI), Cable TV, Blu-ray player and gaming consoles to the receiver, connect receiver to the TV (HDMI), plug headphones  (HD650) directly into receiver.
Some Marantz receivers come with Dolby Headphone, most Yamaha receivers come with Silent cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/category/avreceiver/home-audio/receivers-amps/home-theater-receivers/1.html?brand=&r=5435aa97

Oct 8, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 10

Why can't you connect the audio out of the tv to your headphone amp? If for some reason you don't want to use the your headphone amp for that, you could get an inexpensive headphone amp to use just for watching tv. 

Some televisions even have a headphone jack, although it won't be as good as your headphone amp, and might not have enough power to properly drive the HD650.

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 10

Does the quality of the receiver matter?  How does it effect the sound? Any recommendations?

The more the receiver cost, chances are it sounds better.

The Yamaha RX-A710 is almost the same as my RX-V671 (RX-A710 slightly newer revision).
The RX-A710 uses better speaker amplifiers, then the next cheaper model.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa710bl/yamaha-rx-a710-aventage-series-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Oct 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #7 of 10
  Why can't you connect the audio out of the tv to your headphone amp? If for some reason you don't want to use the your headphone amp for that, you could get an inexpensive headphone amp to use just for watching tv. 

Some televisions even have a headphone jack, although it won't be as good as your headphone amp, and might not have enough power to properly drive the HD650.

I didn't know I could do that. What do I do if I have a digital out on my tv but not at digital in for my amp.

So use the line out on the tv.

Oct 8, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 10
  I didn't know I could do that. What do I do if I have a digital out on my tv but not at digital in for my amp.

If your TV comes with an optical output port, you can get something like the Schiit Modi optical DAC.
You could run an optical cable from your TV to the Modi (optical) DAC, the run an analog audio (RCA to RCA) cable from the Modi to the Asgard.
But you would not get headphone surround sound with this type of connection, just basic stereo audio, it would be really good sounding stereo audio.

What is the make and model of your TV?
Which gaming system is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back