What do I need to make a theatre with Swan M200MK3 + Windows 7
May 7, 2014 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mrsamo

New Head-Fier

Hey folks, need some opinion on how to setup a theatre setting with my Swan desktop speakers.

I'm using Windows 8 with XMBC (greatest media player ever) as my software on a Core i5 system.

I'm not familiar with subwoofers, center speakers or rear speakers at all, but would really like to set it up on my Windows system. I plan on buying a 55-60" screen soon.

Also, I'm based in Japan so may not have access to US or European brands. If you know of Japanese brands that I could look at that would be great, thanks!

May 7, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #2 of 6
keep those speakers in the pc setup and get a real home theater system like this one (sorry, no japanese brands):

anthem mrx 310
elipson planet m 5.0 with the appropriate wall mounts or stands
dual bk xxls400ff subwoofers

better get out there and earn some $$ :)

May 7, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #3 of 6
keep those speakers in the pc setup and get a real home theater system like this one (sorry, no japanese brands):

Agreed.

Can't really build an effective HT surround setup out of PC multimedia speakers. Best path to an HT setup would be to sell those speakers and start with a budget audio/video receiver and front left/right passive speakers, then slowly build on with a sub next, then the rest of the speakers.

Also, be sure to setup your TV well with the listening position for future placement of speakers: http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/home-theater-speaker-layout-an-essential-guide

May 7, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #4 of 6
OK so I managed to set up my Audioengine A2 speakers as my side speakers, so I have surround sound now :)

So basically it looks like I can just go ahead and connect a subwoofer to the Sub port on the PC and I should be set? Can't see why other people have been having problems doing this with the Swan M200 MK3s?

May 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #5 of 6
I have another question, are the newer sound cards good enough to not need an amplifier?  I'd like to use my PC for everything and to drive my headphones (I have a Sony MDR CD3000 in there).

May 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #6 of 6
Sadly even most new sound cars dont have that powerful of an amp to drive passive speakers properly, since its just a simple line-out. Only the headphone output is amp-ed. But since you are going for a 4 active speaker setup, the card should have enough juice for your Headphone. Would be easier if  i knew your sound card model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back