What do I need to get rid of my computer ?
May 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

kodreaming

500+ Head-Fier
I am seriously thinking about banning use of computer in my bedroom. 
But, I 'd still like to play any music in my collection (MP3 / APE / FLAC) 

Here is what I am thinking... 

A NAS I can plug into my router.  
A Squeezebox (or something like that)

That's should make my dream come true , am  I right , or it is much more complex .... 

Jun 1, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 12
Sansa Clip/Fuze/wutevs + LoD = super cheap/simple fix?  >_>

The alternatives aren't very slick, except for the Squeezebox line, which are okay, and a few other high end components.  The cheapest Squeezebox with an SPDIF output would do you well enough, to your Compass.

Jun 1, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 12
What you're thinking of will work fine. Although you need to check that your NAS can run the Squeeze Centre software if you want a Squeezebox. If you can run it with a wired ethernet from your router that is best, but wi-fi is pretty good if you can't.

There are other devices besides the Squeezebox but most need a TV as they are media streamers, not just music streamers. From the audio field there are the more expensive offerings from the like of Sonos, Olive and Linn (the Linn works without a PC, but you need your own uPnP control point).

Or you could do what Hybrys says and just use your mp3 player as a source.

Jun 1, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 12
The cheapest way would be to just buy a tiny computer, a remote for it, hook it up to your TV, and just use it for audio.  A squeezebox plus a NAS is a little more expensive, but better if you want to access your music from multiple locations.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #5 of 12
A Squeezebox Touch would be a good choice as it does not require an external server/NAS, just a USB hard drive. 

Quote:
The cheapest way would be to just buy a tiny computer, a remote for it, hook it up to your TV, and just use it for audio.  A squeezebox plus a NAS is a little more expensive, but better if you want to access your music from multiple locations.

Jun 1, 2010 at 7:47 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

The cheapest nettop I could price out was $250, where as there's a Squeezebox at $199, and two at $299.  Along with this, if he doesn't have a TV in his bedroom, he'd have to add one, or a small monitor, plus the remote, which is atleast another $20.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 12
I was just assuming OP had one.  A small one will do though.  It certainly would be more expensive without one.  I'm not trying to force a nettop on anyone.  Just throwing it out as an option.

Jun 1, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I was just assuming OP had one.  A small one will do though.  It certainly would be more expensive without one.  I'm not trying to force a nettop on anyone.  Just throwing it out as an option.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of nettops as media servers.  But, a Squeezebox would probably be the better solution in this instance.  No noise but music, compared to the ticking of a HDD and fans.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:21 PM Post #9 of 12
I've just used Squeezebox with my desktop out in the living room as the server connected to WiFi.  Works pretty well, and is pretty easy to set up.  The playlist functionality and some of the other interfaces are a little wonky and take some getting used to, but aren't deal-breakers for me.  I'm on my second Squeezebox, having just bought a Touch and relegating my Classic to my workshop room.

Jun 2, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 12
ipod touch remote to control the rig you already have by wifi

Jun 2, 2010 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 12
Not to derail this thread, but how are you finding the Touch in comparison to the Classic? Have you tried the touch with the built in server?

Quote:
I've just used Squeezebox with my desktop out in the living room as the server connected to WiFi.  Works pretty well, and is pretty easy to set up.  The playlist functionality and some of the other interfaces are a little wonky and take some getting used to, but aren't deal-breakers for me.  I'm on my second Squeezebox, having just bought a Touch and relegating my Classic to my workshop room.

Jun 2, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 12
Compared to the Classic, in my experience, audio-wise the Touch has better sound out of the headphone jack and better quality via digital output.  The interface is nice, as one would expect, since you can use the touch screen and you can have album cover graphics.  It's a little weird in that the font size automatically switches from small when you use the touchscreen to large when you use the remote, and vice versa, though for all I know there's a setting buried somewhere that I haven't found that can change that.  I can see how that's nice if you have it set up in an entertainment center across the room, but isn't as useful to me since the unit is sitting right next to my bed.  The screen, even on a lower setting, is also pretty bright so it is kind of like an unneeded night light for me.  The responsiveness is also slower on the Touch than on the Classic, almost everything from startup to track seeking.  I noticed this when I was A/B comparing the two since the remote activates both units.

All said and done, the Touch is nice and is an upgrade, but didn't blow my socks off compared to the Classic.  The slight improvements in audio is pretty subjective and not massive, but I didn't feel like I wasted my money or anything.  This is also mostly experience with the built-in DAC or with portable DAC/amps, so depending on equipment the effect may be more pronounced for all I know.

I haven't tried the built-in server yet.  I'm planning on maybe trying that out sometime soon so I can use it as a transportable source for the next local meet.  I have a spare USB HDD and a currently empty 16 GB thumbdrive, so it shouldn't be that hard...right?  Famous last words, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back