What do I need for a sand blasting setup?
Feb 8, 2008 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Part of my job involves annealing metal samples which then have to have scale build-up removed. The easiest way is using a sand blaster, but the university's shop hours aren't flexible enough for regular use. I've been tasked with finding a permanent cabinet sand blasting setup we can keep in our own lab.

I have a general idea of the sort of dimensions required (something around 1 metre wide). Sand blasting cabinets are quite a bit cheaper than I would have expected. Something like this would probably be ideal. However, I don't have a clue what else is required to operate it. Where does the abrasive supply feed from? Does a vacuum dust remover recirculate the abrasive, or is it not re-used? Do I just need to hook it up to a high pressure air supply?

If anyone has any expertise in this field or could point me to a guide, I'd really appreciate the help.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 2
A compressed air feed?

The one I used- the abrasive came in 5-gallon buckets. I believe the vacuum (Dust Collector) filters the air so you don’t breath the dust and filters the air so you can see the work piece. The abrasive settles in the base (it’s funnel shaped) and dumps back into a 5-gallon bucket.

I seem to remember pouring the abrasive into a hopper in the cabinet.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back