What do I hear in my A700?
Mar 28, 2007 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

coredump

500+ Head-Fier
I've had the Alesandro MS-1s for a while now and I really like them. They are pretty much the only “good” headphones I have ever used. They weren't performing well for gaming though. At least not for CS:Source. I decided to try the Audio Technica A700s to see if I'd get some improvement while gaming and for music. I connect my headphones to the Audigy2 ZS card with no amp.

Anyway I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to headphones so I was hopping someone could tell me what I'm experiencing when I listen to music. The A700 seems to sound better than the MS-1 in that individual instruments stand out more and seem to have some directions to them (soundstage?). The highs are clearer and maybe the mids too. All of this would make the A700s a better headphone but I'm hearing something that I don't like, or maybe I'm not use to. I don't know how to describe it. Some of the mids and the bass have a weird resonance to it. It's almost as if I'm listening to it in a barrel or a can. Is this the difference between open and closed headphones or is it just a characteristic of the A700s? I really don't have any other reference to go by other than the AS-1s. It's not horrible, just annoying. I feel like it's changing the natural sound of the music.

Even though both are supposed to be good without an amp it seems as if the A700s might benefit from one. There is a bit of distortion in the bass at higher volumes. It might just be more prevalent on the A700 than the AS-1s because they sound clearer. Would I benefit much from a $100 amp such as the Total AirHead?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back