What do I get next?
Sep 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

powasky

100+ Head-Fier
I accidentally stuck this in the non-portable forum at first but I went back and deleted it already.

Right now I'm running Apple Lossless out through an iPod, a Fiio E3, and q-jays. I want to buy something new for Christmas (maybe 300 bucks max) but don't know what I should upgrade. I would want to iMod it, but I don't have money for an LOD and an amp on top of the iMod price.

Everyone here raves about the Cowon D2, but does it really give the best sound quality? If not, what else is considered "up there" in regards to SQ, especially in comparison to an iPod?

Should I not be thinking about upgrading the iPod at all? Should I go for an LOD and an amp instead? I'm so confused!

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #2 of 6
You should probably change the FiiO (get a line out signal into a budget-fitting amp).

But best to get other opinions first. Are you not happy with your current set up? I recently (month or two ago) sold all my stuff out for a simple iPod + $60 canalphone set up because it was sufficient for transport, and I haven't looked back (or have I..)

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should probably change the FiiO (get a line out signal into a budget-fitting amp).

But best to get other opinions first. Are you not happy with your current set up? I recently (month or two ago) sold all my stuff out for a simple iPod + $60 canalphone set up because it was sufficient for transport, and I haven't looked back (or have I..)

I honestly don't have the Fiio yet, but it's on the way in the mail. What amps/LOD's would you suggest? I see that a lot of people have stuff by ALO but they're pretty expensive. I'm willing to spend the cash if they're worth it, but if not, what are cheaper alternatives?

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't think there is a great deal of difference between any regular LOD (e.g. one made by any of the skilled DIYers on this forum) and one of the huge silver and gold logo bling ALO line out cables. You could probably get a nice LOD DIYed fairly cheaply (or even cheaper - make one yourself).

As for an amplifier, you may want to try get something warmer sounding to supplement the analytical signature of the q-jays. Not sure what to suggest here, but there are lots of reviews in the portable amplifier section.

Sep 29, 2008 at 4:35 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think there is a great deal of difference between any regular LOD (e.g. one made by any of the skilled DIYers on this forum) and one of the huge silver and gold logo bling ALO line out cables. You could probably get a nice LOD DIYed fairly cheaply (or even cheaper - make one yourself).

As for an amplifier, you may want to try get something warmer sounding to supplement the analytical signature of the q-jays. Not sure what to suggest here, but there are lots of reviews in the portable amplifier section.

I was thinking about one of the iBasso models, likely the D3 or maybe the new P3. Hopefully someone can chime in about how well they would compliment the q-jays.

And thanks for the input on LODs. I don't have the tools here at school (nor the skillz) but I'll hawk the classifieds to see who's making them.

Oct 3, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 6
im in somewhat of a similar situation as you powasky. right now im using a cowon d2 with shure se210's. it sounds really good, but i dont know what kind of amp to get. i will be switching the se210's with some MS2i's. I can't offer any amazing advice other than that the D2 is very good. its feature rich and the SQ is very good. i like it a lot and would recommend it to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back