What do AKG K601 sound like?
May 22, 2008 at 8:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

greggf

1000+ Head-Fier
I've done extensive research on - and used the search function on - the AKG K601, and STILL can't get a handle on what these things sound like.

So what do they sound like? How good/bad/bleh are they?

I get the vague impression of a softer, rounder, kinder/gentler K701. Others say "muffled" compared to the 701. Some say that they're equivs of the Sennheiser HD580/600. Some say that they're boring, with a capital B. "Forgettable" comes up, too. Others say that they're more enjoyable and musical than the 701. Some say lean, some say thin............help me understand what they're like.

Vastly underrated, I bet...........

May 22, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 40
Underrated and undiscovered in my opinion. I listened to a HD650, K701 and K601 to choose which to buy, and ended up with the K601. The 650 was too dark/laid back for me, and the K701 sounded cold to me, but the K601 sounded really nice and musical to me. Granted that both the K701 and 650 have better technology to it and components, probably reveil more detail, though I didn't notice, I definetly preferred the K601 to just listen music on, and haven't regretted my purchase, now just to add another, ,

May 22, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #3 of 40
I'm listening to mine right now
smily_headphones1.gif

One thing I know for sure about them is that they sound great with the Apogee Duet and Gilmore Lite. I haven't had these headphones all that long, and my Gilmore Lite arrived very recently, so please keep that in mind.

In the way of general comparisons, it's actually not so far off the mark to say that they sound something like an HD580. They're about as laid back, but with what I feel are somewhat better mids.

They are a graceful headphone in that they don't ruin a listening session by getting shouty or shrill with badly recorded tracks. They seem to deliver roughly the same treble presentation as my ER-4S, which I have probably listened to more than any other headphones (so I actually am pretty confident in this statement).

Extended listening sessions with the K601 tend to make me want to freshen things up with my Grados, and I'm usually glad for the switch. Then a bright track will come along, and I reach for the K601 again, and on and on it goes. The point here is that while the K601 is by no means lifeless and boring, it doesn't have the same kind of involving sound that Grados do.

I would disagree with any comments that the K601 sounds thin or lean in any way, unless they're not properly amped. I have not used mine with anything less than the Apogee Duet, which I actually find to be a nice amp for these headphones. The Gilmore Lite, however, really seems well suited to the K601.

May 22, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 40
Well,

I would say that you should try them.
I think that they are much more forgiving than the k701 with its fuller sound.

While I do not own them, I have heard them. They sound a little closer than the k701 and the highs are tamed more.

If you want a 580 without viel and less finiky with amplification, I think it is a great route. I think that they get the *forgettable* label simply because the k701 is deemed the *best* and people here will rarely settle for anything less than the *best*.

Single ended on a low-mid fi amp, the k601 beat the k701 IMO pretty decidely. I do think that they should be going for more like $160 new.

May 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 40
If HD580 and K701 would have a baby, it wouldnt be too far from K601. So it has a slight laidback and full tonality, equipped with AKG soundsignature.

May 22, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 40
-=Germania=-;4241961 said:
... They sound a little closer than the k701 and the highs are tamed more...QUOTE]

X2, I compared the K701 w/ a K601 and I came away thinking that they sound very close w/ the K701 having a bit more extension which at times can be a bit too energetic (ie. shrill). I also prefered the pads in the K601 over the K701.

Although IMO the K701 is a better sounding can, specially w/ an APS V3 re-cable!
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done extensive research on - and used the search function on - the AKG K601, and STILL can't get a handle on what these things sound like.

So what do they sound like? How good/bad/bleh are they?

I get the vague impression of a softer, rounder, kinder/gentler K701. Others say "muffled" compared to the 701. Some say that they're equivs of the Sennheiser HD580/600. Some say that they're boring, with a capital B. "Forgettable" comes up, too. Others say that they're more enjoyable and musical than the 701. Some say lean, some say thin............help me understand what they're like.

Vastly underrated, I bet...........

What do they sound like:

MUSIC!!!

It's that simple. They offer a neutral presentation that is not bass heavy, bright, or any other negative you can think of. They simply portray whatever music you're listening to as recorded.

And yes, they ARE vastly underrated.

May 22, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #9 of 40
I have listened to both K601 and K701. I prefer k601 over k701 for listening to ochestra. The soundstage isn't as big as k701, but a little warmer and less bright, which feels like a combination of Sennheiser HD595 + AKG K701. But it isn't as laid back as Senn.
I see your signature you have the Denon D5000. Not sure if you have listened to the D2000, i find D2000 and K601 are quite similar, except D2000 is a little bassier than k601.

May 22, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have listened to both K601 and K701. I prefer k601 over k701 for listening to ochestra. The soundstage isn't as big as k701, but a little warmer and less bright, which feels like a combination of Sennheiser HD595 + AKG K701. But it isn't as laid back as Senn.
I see your signature you have the Denon D5000. Not sure if you have listened to the D2000, i find D2000 and K601 are quite similar, except D2000 is a little bassier than k601.

What? senns are laid back now? the last thing i know... the k701 were laid back compared to senns

May 23, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #11 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by TSi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What? senns are laid back now? the last thing i know... the k701 were laid back compared to senns

I think people are confusing distance/soundstage with speed/attack/immediacy.

I always thought "laid back" meant non-immediate. From all accounts the k-701s are more immediate, fast and thus not laid back. I find my k-501s to be the most immediate of my three pairs of cans even though the sound is more distant.

My hd580s are like a guy chilled out on the couch sitting about five feet way from you speaking at a lower than normal voice volume. You can hear everything but its soft. My k-501s are like two huge blaring loudspeakers sitting about fifty feet away from you. Its far away, but its not laid back at all.

May 23, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

for the price it has against k701, it doesnt justify to get one... if only if its drops to 150$ish

Depends on where you are. Here in Holland the cheapest price for the K601 is 169 EURO, the K701 starts at 269 EURO. In many stores the difference is even greater. I ended up getting the K601 and it's wonderful.

May 23, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by verbaan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Depends on where you are. Here in Holland the cheapest price for the K601 is 169 EURO, the K701 starts at 269 EURO. In many stores the difference is even greater. I ended up getting the K601 and it's wonderful.

169 euro is still 200$+ USD

May 23, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

for the price it has against k701, it doesnt justify to get one... if only if its drops to 150$ish

How is the price not justified if the sound is right? They're always priced cheaper than the K701, and to me, they sound better. If I thought the K701 sounded even marginally better, I would have had no issues at all spending the extra ~$50 for them.

I don't see the K601 as a poor man's K701, which is what you seem to be suggesting. It's a different, and different sounding, headphone altogether.

May 23, 2008 at 7:59 PM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by -=Germania=- /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well,

I would say that you should try them.
I think that they are much more forgiving than the k701 with its fuller sound.

While I do not own them, I have heard them. They sound a little closer than the k701 and the highs are tamed more.

If you want a 580 without viel and less finiky with amplification, I think it is a great route. I think that they get the *forgettable* label simply because the k701 is deemed the *best* and people here will rarely settle for anything less than the *best*.

Single ended on a low-mid fi amp, the k601 beat the k701 IMO pretty decidely. I do think that they should be going for more like $160 new.

How do the K601 compare to the K400?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back