What Do AD700's Sound Like? AD700 vs SR60? Help Needed.
Mar 2, 2008 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
So i listen to all genres, have cold portable source, and warmer sounding laptop, and a neutral pc soundcard. I want comfort, the least sound leakage i can get while being open, a good all rounder, with bass, but good highs. Er6i's are not quite bassy enough, and cold, even out of my warm source, my new laptop. CX300's however were far too bassy, muddy and horrible, so i came to head-fi.

Whats best?

I have been reccommended Sr60's, although i am worried about sound leakage, discomfort, fatuiging sound that i have read about. I think the AD500's would be good for me however cannot find much info on them, so i could stretch to used AD700's. So AD700 or 500 or SR60, whats best for me?

Please set your post out like this, and answer as many of my questions as possible please! Questions:

1.Whats best?
2.Whats most comfortable?
3.How do the AD500's sound (sound sig)
4.How do the AD700's sound (sound sig)
5.How do the SR60's sound (Sound sig)
6.Is it worth trying to find AD500's or spending the extra bit to get 700's of which would sell better if i didnt like them?
7.Which leaks more?
8.Any other suggestions?

I dont really know my budget yet, however i currently have $85 and when my complimentary livewires come i plan to sell my ER6i's and CX300's to fund a DIY amp kit, with everything but a soldering iron and solder. So up to $100 max for the headphones, although lower is better.

I want:
warmish,
fun sounding,
with bass (not muddy, doesnt have to be strong -eg DT style)
good highs,
and detail, (like er6i's, but with a fun sound, and a bit of warmth, and slighltly more bass.)
comfortable,
least leakage in and out, but open.

Answer my questions above, and give any suggestions if you can, please....

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Mar 3, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #3 of 8
for what it's worth i did a ton of research on this subject.

according to what i read over and over is that the grado sr60 are good headphones for the low price tag with a more in your face kind of style good for rock and guitars with not the best bass.... there seems to be a large knock on it's comfort level which is why some people seem to spend 15 dollars more for some kind of comfort pads that you can buy extra and another knock seems to be it's lack of soundstage.

after all of my looking into i myself decided to buy the ath-ad700 the main reason for this was every single person except a small few seemed to agree that it is one of the most comfortable headphones they have had... they say they can listen for hours and hours with no trouble at all this was a huge plus to me because for my first good quality headphones i wanted comfort to be a real big interest.

it seems to not have the best bass but has a good soundstage and does a good job with classical/instrumental style of music but is very balanced overall.

both seem to leak music to the outside world and in i never really got a clear vibe on which did this more but seeing how the ad700 phones seem to be much larger i would assume it did it less but that is completely unconfirmed.

some of the choices i was with was:
grado sr60/80
sennheiser hd 280 pro
sennheiser 555
equation audio rp-21
ath a500
ath ad700
alessandro music one series
denon d1000
goldring dr150

just for reference.

i decided on the ath-ad700 from it's large good reviews/comfort/reliable brand name/soundstage/versatility.

it can be found for about 118$ but hard to find.

gradosr60 meanwhile can be found for like 70$

not sure if any of this helps you but just thought id throw it out there.

Mar 3, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, if they pop up used the 700's are the ones. I am tempted by the 500's though, although they dont come up often, and if they dont sound as the 700's do, which i think i will like, they are harder to sell too, but at 15, spending lke $85 on headphones is hard, and my dad thinks i am mad. Do you think anyone will trade for er6i iems and 14 pairs of different, rare, tips?

Its easier to trade, as i wont need them when i get my Livewires.

Also, what about A700's? How do they sound compared? My varourite music is David Gray and John Mayor type stuff, but i listen to everything. So are AD700's right? How about A700's?

As Closed is better for my music as leakage and isolation are important, however i also game, and use a sound card with virtual 7.1 drivers, currently use a USB headset an mic with the drivers, but a usb version. So it kills two birds with one stone too, as i was gonna get gaming cans too.

I dont llike the purple though!

thanks that was extremely helpful,

Hope you can help me again.

Matt

Mar 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baines93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, if they pop up used the 700's are the ones. I am tempted by the 500's though, although they dont come up often, and if they dont sound as the 700's do, which i think i will like, they are harder to sell too, but at 15, spending lke $85 on headphones is hard, and my dad thinks i am mad. Do you think anyone will trade for er6i iems and 14 pairs of different, rare, tips?

Its easier to trade, as i wont need them when i get my Livewires.

Also, what about A700's? How do they sound compared? My varourite music is David Gray and John Mayor type stuff, but i listen to everything. So are AD700's right? How about A700's?

As Closed is better for my music as leakage and isolation are important, however i also game, and use a sound card with virtual 7.1 drivers, currently use a USB headset an mic with the drivers, but a usb version. So it kills two birds with one stone too, as i was gonna get gaming cans too.

I dont llike the purple though!

thanks that was extremely helpful,

Hope you can help me again.

Matt

other more experienced people can help you better on some of those questions.

the a700 in comparison to the ad700 is the a700 is a closed version vs the ad700 being open so its more an alternative for those who need isolation but from what ive read in numerous sources it doesn't sound as good as the ad700.

your best bet is to get a list of decent headphones in your price range then do searches on this forum and on google and see what people say about them. and then narrow them down based on what you you need out of your headphones.. i know how it is to be on a tight budget so buying something for what to you and i is alot of money is very important to buy the right thing.

hopefully some others can help you further.

so far you seem to need a bit of isolation and diversity to sound good with music and for some gaming and im sure comfort for long sessions with gaming and such.

heres a review of the ad700 from a gaming standpoint
Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Review

i bought the ad-700 for 117$ or so... from audio-cubes on ebay. (waiting for it to be shipped atm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back