What digital source for Omega II owners?
Dec 12, 2003 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

EyEPoD

100+ Head-Fier
I'm considering taking the plunge in the next month or so, but would like to upgrade my source ahead of time.

Taking into consideration an Omega II + solid state config (possibly a KGSS if i can get someone to make), what source in the 1k-2k range provides the best synergy.

I have heard the Meridian 507 and have been considering it for a while.

Some others that are on my list...

Used prices (as seen on audiogon):
Sacdmods sony scd-c55es ($1100)
Cary 303/200 ($1400)
Cary 306/200 ($2200, slim possibility)
Meridian 588, 507, 508-24 ($1400-2000)

Im sorry for such a boring post, but ive been contemplating this for a while.

Dec 12, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 45
I'd go for either of the Cary players.

(BTW, this is a totally useless post. I have heard none of the players you are considering. However, based on judgments and comments from other members of Head-Fi, the signature of the Cary players would seem to match well with the kind of sound I enjoy. So take my comments with a grain of salt.)

- Chris

Dec 12, 2003 at 4:40 AM Post #3 of 45
What kind of sound is it you enjoy? I have heard the carys have a different bass presentation that some like, others dont.

Mainly interested how they sound with the Omegas.

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:24 AM Post #4 of 45
Quote:

Originally posted by EyEPoD
What kind of sound is it you enjoy? I have heard the carys have a different bass presentation that some like, others dont.

Mainly interested how they sound with the Omegas.

I like detailed, neutral, clear sound. In short, I like "digital" sound.

I'd be inclined towards the Cary because of someone else who has a 306/200 and Omega IIs (and a KGSS) - grinch. He loves his 306 to death. Our music tastes are similar (as well as our aural preferences), so I bet it would be a good way to go for me.

- Chris

Dec 12, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #5 of 45
With the Stax the better the wource, the better the sound. Why not use the Omega IIs with whatever source you have and then go with the Cary 306/200 when you have enough money? Two owners of the Omega II here own the 306/200, and both love it to death. They are well built and get rave reviews from all who hear one.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:04 AM Post #6 of 45
sounds good (pun?). Im going to see if any of the local hi-fi stores cary carys (that was definately a pun
wink.gif
)

thanks guys

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:11 AM Post #7 of 45
search for comments on my system in this thread, as quite a few people got to hear it that day: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=50312

comments from the connecticut meet thread as well: http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...threadid=48271

i totally adore my source. i received it just a few weeks before i got my stax setup and it was probably the most drastic change to happen to my system since i acquired hp-1's.

i have admittedly heard not very many high-end digital sources, but when i was able to compare my cary to the new wadia 302, i was very unimpressed. the cary has tons of bass weight and a very vibrant sound. i also got to hear a meridian 508.20 in my system and it was very nice, but much more polite and "natural" sounding, dare i say slightly boring in comparison.

i also love my cary because of its digital inputs. i can run my dvd player into my cd player, and it'll act as a dac for my headphone setup. same thing goes for my computer.

i'm quite happy with my 306/200, and a few individuals i know are quite happy with their 303/200's. personally, i think sacd is a waste of money at the moment as i really adore my redbook sound.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

sounds good (pun?). Im going to see if any of the local hi-fi stores cary carys (that was definately a pun
wink.gif
)

thanks guys

The Cary 306/200 sells for $5K new, and when they are sold used go for close to $3K. Keep an eye on Audiogon and wait for one to come up for a decent price from a reputable person.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 45
i paid $2500 for mine (a little over six months ago) and thought i was the luckiest person in the galaxy. then earlier this week, there was a silver 306/200 on audiogon for $2200.

i much prefer the black to silver though.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:20 AM Post #10 of 45
Well there are two 306/200s on audiogon.
I just messaged the sellers, and am awaiting responses.

Both are under 2400, so im thinking this is going to be my new source
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:23 AM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Well there are two 306/200s on audiogon.
I just messaged the sellers, and am awaiting responses.

Both are under 2400, so im thinking this is going to be my new source
smily_headphones1.gif

Wow, I just looked two days ago and the only Cary 306/200 was selling for $3500 with some platform the owner wouldn't separate from the CDP. Man, if they were selling for this price when I got my current CDP I would own a Cary instead.

At this price, GO FOR IT!

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #12 of 45
Dec 12, 2003 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 45
Quote:

Which one should i go for.

one seller appears to be in hong kong.. so i'd say, go for the u.s. seller. that's just me though.

Dec 12, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #14 of 45
Make sure to avoid the guy from overseas. The guy on the first page has a feedback of 45, thus a lot more trustworthy and a lot less of a risk. His asking price of $2300 is very good also.

Dec 12, 2003 at 10:18 AM Post #15 of 45
EyEPoD

Just another note of support for the 306. I've owned mine for a little while and like it a lot. That said, I just picked up another source that I'm going to compare over the weekend, so you never know.

The 303 is a good player as well. If you want to bargain hunt though, I think that if all you are after is the player, and don't need a DAC or balanced outputs, the 308 is excellent for the price. In some ways I think it is more musical and forgiving than the 306 or 303. You can find these used for about $800. (Not as accurate as the other models, but on some recordings, like most every mass market CD made in the last 10 years, that is a good thing.)

If you don't like your dealer, or Audiogon doesn't work out for you, Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio has an excellent trade in/up program for the entire Cary line.

grinch,

I like your signature line, where does it come from?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back