What differences can I expect between different tiers of dacs?
Jun 29, 2013 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

RAZRr1275

500+ Head-Fier
Both in a general sense and in a more specific one. I'm currently using a dac destroyer and was wondering if it would be worth upgrading to a Schiit Modi or ODAC. Another possibility would be waiting until I get more money to upgrade straight to something like the Peachtree Dac-It. Which do you guys think would be the best option?

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 7
What are you looking for audio wise that you cannot obtain from your current set up? Unless you are dissatisfied with one or more aspect of the performance of your current DAC, I would suggest that you instead look at the upgrade path of the other bits in the system.

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #4 of 7
There isn't anything super specific that I'm looking for, its more that I'm always chasing a better sound. I'm set on headphones, I've upgraded amps to the Project Sunrise II, and cables to audioquest models which I found made a difference which now leaves the dac as the weakest link in my chain so it seems like that would be the next logical thing to upgrade if its worth it. 

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7
If you are using a separate headamp than a DAC upgrade might not produce that WOW factor you are after. But if you are using the headphone output on the DAC then it is worth matching headphones to the DAC's headamp. I got several DACs, and each one sounds best with different headphones.

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 7
I have a K701 and a D7000 amongst many others. And I can tell you now that I am yet to find a combination that suits both headphones. The difference in performance from the headphones is making the choice of headamp/DAC a real shot in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back