What difference does having a good rack make?
Jun 6, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good rack reduces vibration? ... If so why?

imgad

Yeah, that rack is just begging to have a cone screwed into it

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found that cones emphasize the high frequencies, steel balls the midrange, and rubber feet the bass. You can also do mass damping which increases the bass but doesn't sacrifice as much of the highs as rubber feet do.

Patrick, you should really rename yourself to "Captain Placebo."

To me a good rack should do the following: Keep components separated with good airflow, not rattle about when speakers are shaking the room, look good, (optionally keep cables organized), be firm but not too firm, be perky but not in a slutty way, taste lik... err, got off on a tangent there.

edit: ATM my stuff is on a decent two shelf metal and glass TV stand because I don't have room (or the money) for a separate audio rack. I do like the simple looks of the Salamander Archetype racks though.

Jun 6, 2007 at 10:17 PM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by giff07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The main benefits of a good rack are:
1. Better air flow for cooling hot equipment biggest benefit over just stacking equipment on nightstand
2. Cable organization (signal away from ac power away from dc power away from speaker wire) only a benefit if you use ultra cheap unshielded cable.
3. Wife/spouse/significant other approval factor- this could go either way, some like everything organized and neat, others want it out of the way and diminutive as possible.

Those are the main benefits I can think of, I would agree with another poster that unless you are using a turntable, there probably wont be sonic benefits to a good rack (or if there is it is very very subtle).

x2
biggrin.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #19 of 23
I'm more of a butt man myself...

Jun 7, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that rack is just begging to have a cone screwed into it

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good rack reduces vibration? ... If so why?

imgad

I thought THAT RACK INCREASED VIBRATIONS!!!
wink.gif
LOL!

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick, you should really rename yourself to "Captain Placebo."

To me a good rack should do the following: Keep components separated with good airflow, not rattle about when speakers are shaking the room, look good, (optionally keep cables organized), be firm but not too firm, be perky but not in a slutty way, taste lik... err, got off on a tangent there.

edit: ATM my stuff is on a decent two shelf metal and glass TV stand because I don't have room (or the money) for a separate audio rack. I do like the simple looks of the Salamander Archetype racks though.

Patrick is only fooling around. If you look at one of his other posts, you will find a comical story involving stone dampening and assorted textbooks...

Jun 8, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raphael /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Patrick is only fooling around. If you look at one of his other posts, you will find a comical story involving stone dampening and assorted textbooks...

That's what I will tell the mental institution to prevent them from committing me. Then I can keep on tweaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back