What did you upgrade first?
Jun 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lagerstout

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

What is usually the first component you upgrade first when you're delving into higher end audio?  I first upgraded my headphones to the Grado Labs SR60E.  They've been great and kept me satisfied for a while.  I only just recently started looking into headphone DAC/Amps and ended up getting a FiiO Q1 from Amazon.  The FiiO Q1 gives the music I listen to added depth that I hadn't experienced previously.  Before using the Q1 as a discreet DAC, I was just listening straight from my MacBook Pro.  Has anybody made a headphone amp as the first component they upgraded instead of headphones first?

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #3 of 8
Macbook pros have pretty good sound.

Focus on headphone upgrades until you get to that headphone that needs an amp.

The Q1 in my opinion has better sound than the MBP alone.  On the other hand because I wanted a closed back headphone with similar sound I also upgraded to the Sony MDR-7506 which at 63 ohms impedance exceeds the 24ohms the MBP maxes out at.  But before trying the MDR-7506 for the first time I tested the SR60E with the Q1.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 8
The Q1 in my opinion has better sound than the MBP alone.  

Might want to read about what audio science has to say about sighted comparisons of dacs and amps. Improper testing can easily bias the results.

which exceeds the 24ohms the MBP maxes out at.  

That makes no sense to me. You must be misinterpreting some specification you have read.

Jun 10, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Most will tell you that they upgraded their headphones first, and that is generally the best route to take.

And yeah, that Sony can get pretty loud even out of a laptop headphone output.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:14 AM Post #6 of 8
FiiO Q1 will drive most headphones very well (it works surprisingly well with my 300 Ohm Sennheiser HD650)
At this point you should focus on the headphones and the quality of your recordings.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Agree with Me x3.

Music quality first. Easily the most substantial listening difference at a cheaper cost.
Find a set of cans you really enjoy and build a system around them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back