What did you move on to after Bryston BHA-1?
Dec 31, 2018 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hawkeye99

New Head-Fier
I'm researching this amp and I'm curious as to why and to what you moved on to? I probably won't be able to audition before purchase so I need all the insight I can get. Thanks.

Dec 31, 2018 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 13
There is a lot of information in the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston.560499/

Also, are you considering purchase of the Bryston amplifier? Or selling the amplifier you already own? What headphones? What source?

An aside, what is your temperament on tubes? I've seen some people mention that the Platinum sounds similar. I've seen other people mention that Platinum moves them, musically, in ways the BHA-1 could not. The listening experience is a fine, fickle thing. But people need more information from you, to assist you as best they can.

Jan 1, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #3 of 13
I moved onto a Benchmark DAC3 all in one unit and haven't looked back. The Bryston is a very soild product. However, with high sensitivity phones, as most are at tnis point, it's power is a bit of overkill to me. Plus I found no difference sonically between balanced and single ended outputs. YMMV.

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 13

Yes. Seen that and I'm reading that now.

Also, are you considering purchase of the Bryston amplifier? Or selling the amplifier you already own? What headphones? What source?

I currently own a Bryston BP-6 preamp which has a pretty good headphone section. I have a Bryston 2BSST2 amp. Source is Bryston BDP-1. Also have the BDA-1 dac. Headphones are Sennheiser HD600. I've had them for a couple of weeks now.

An aside, what is your temperament on tubes? I've seen some people mention that the Platinum sounds similar. I've seen other people mention that Platinum moves them, musically, in ways the BHA-1 could not. The listening experience is a fine, fickle thing. But people need more information from you, to assist you as best they can.

No experience with tubes.

Jan 4, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 13
Had the Bryston and have now the Taurus which I prefer but hopefully get my hands on a second hand V281. Can't really complain about the Bryston other than I wanted something else.
Still have the WA22 which I certainly will keep...if only for the looks....no, seriously it is a lovely amp and it can power all my headphones nicely.

Jan 11, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 13
Had the Bryston and have now the Taurus which I prefer but hopefully get my hands on a second hand V281. Can't really complain about the Bryston other than I wanted something else.
Still have the WA22 which I certainly will keep...if only for the looks....no, seriously it is a lovely amp and it can power all my headphones nicely.

Hi sorry to disturb you. Do you have the Taurus 1st version ? i also have one now unfortunately packed away but i should run it again very soon. Could you give me your opinion about its sound quality level ?
I tried it when i bought 2nd hand ... clean but also a little cold and flat in the midrange ?
The midrange is usually the nightmare ... with digital sources i mean. I understand people using tubes to try to add some dimension and warm to voices.
thanks a lot, gino

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #7 of 13
Hi, I have the Mk2 for almost a year now and didn't like it at first but after several changes in my setup it seems I have found the right synergy and things have fallen into place.
Most important was probably a better source with dedicated server and a nos dac( also a very expensive usb cable...and yes, it is clearly better than the other two I had ) which gave the sound a very analog feel...I am old enough to remember how vinyl did sound in it's heyday.
Listening to music every day, I usually have the WA22 alternating with the Taurus day by day and in comparison to the Woo the Taurus just has that slight SS character but certainly not cold or even flat.

Jan 14, 2019 at 3:31 AM Post #8 of 13
Hi, I have the Mk2 for almost a year now and didn't like it at first but after several changes in my setup it seems I have found the right synergy and things have fallen into place. Most important was probably a better source with dedicated server and a nos dac ( also a very expensive usb cable...and yes, it is clearly better than the other two I had ) which gave the sound a very analog feel...I am old enough to remember how vinyl did sound in it's heyday. Listening to music every day, I usually have the WA22 alternating with the Taurus day by day and in comparison to the Woo the Taurus just has that slight SS character but certainly not cold or even flat.

Hi ! thank you very much indeed for the very kind and helpful reply. I hope the mk I version i have shares the mk II qualities. I think i will have to try some combinations. From what i understand they should be both quite transparent to the source (that i like a lot) and clean. Above all I am looking for a solid state definitive solution. I have now the THX AAA in my viewfinder. Not easy to get here in europe and with some shipping and custom costs to add. But i have been very impressed by the reviews and lab reports. Imhe also cables can do something. I have good experiences with cheap Cardas for digital sources. Maybe they add colors but also body to the midrange and the end result can be very nice. Thanks a lot again, gino

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2019 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 13
BHA-1 was one of my first hifi amps I tried a few and now ended up with Chord Dave. Still have the BHA-1 and it's a day and night difference in quality on the Dave. I've been hooked on them since trying it out.

Feb 10, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 13
There is a lot of information in the thread:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-headphone-amplifier-from-bryston.560499/

I could understand when people say 'Platinum moves them, musically, in ways the BHA-1 could not,' but not entirely 'Platinum sounds similar,' as it's a bit nuanced.

IMO BHA-1 is more neutral of the two, and has a greater sound stage (may seem a bit exaggerated) and imaging, with more controlled treble definition. Platinum strong suit is forward mids and perhaps lower-end quantity (depending on preference, some may think it's beyond a necessary level), although I've heard better low-end definition. It works best for certain headphones for tonality for those that needs some mids body.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 3:59 AM Post #11 of 13
BHA-1 was one of my first hifi amps I tried a few and now ended up with Chord Dave. Still have the BHA-1 and it's a day and night difference in quality on the Dave. I've been hooked on them since trying it out.

Hi ! if i get it right you deem the Chord Dave a much superior headphone amp than the BHA-1 ? maybe what you are hearing is the superior dac in the Dave ? the dac in the Dave must be something special from what i read. Did you try the Dave as a dac with the BHA-1 as well ?

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #12 of 13
Hi ! if i get it right you deem the Chord Dave a much superior headphone amp than the BHA-1 ? maybe what you are hearing is the superior dac in the Dave ? the dac in the Dave must be something special from what i read. Did you try the Dave as a dac with the BHA-1 as well ?
I actually bought the Dave to use as a DAC but using it by itself ended up producing the best sound. I did hook it up as a DAC and tried with a few headphone amps that I own including the BHA-1. I’m not great at describing sound but I felt like it was more full sounding. I had my friends compare with a blind test and they too agreed to prefer the Dave by itself. I wanted to not like the Dave because of the price but unfortunately it’s just that good. :)

Feb 11, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 13
I actually bought the Dave to use as a DAC but using it by itself ended up producing the best sound.
I did hook it up as a DAC and tried with a few headphone amps that I own including the BHA-1. I’m not great at describing sound but I felt like it was more full sounding.
I had my friends compare with a blind test and they too agreed to prefer the Dave by itself.
I wanted to not like the Dave because of the price but unfortunately it’s just that good. :)

Hi ! thanks a lot for the very kind and interesting reply. I read great things of Chord dacs ... they must be seriously good. Great system you have. Regards, gino

Users who are viewing this thread

Back