What did you guys get for Christmas!!?
Jan 3, 2005 at 12:09 AM Post #91 of 107
Well you're all going to think me a spoiled greedy moron after I tell you about this and you deserve to think so, but basically my Christmas was disappointing. I got a bunch of little stuff, cool stuff, but I didn't get the Nintendo DS which was the only thing I asked for for Christmas. I basically got some awesome stuff for my Clarinet I'll show you from my grampa, and some cool games and movies and stuff, and a whole lot of clothes, but no DS, which has me really bummed out. Anyway, I happened to get a mini-tripod also from my grampa for my crappy digital camera so I can finally take some real pics for you guys (and you know I'm nuts about pics, even though my hand shakes just terribly)! Here goes:

DSCF5229.jpg

Here's my new mini-tripod. As you'll see, it makes my pictures turn out a lot better, even with this old crappy Fujifilm Finepix 1300 I'm using! It's all aluminum, very solid compared to some of the cheesy ones I've seen in Best Buy.
DSCF5231.jpg

It can extend twice and lock.
DSCF5259.jpg

DSCF5260.jpg

I also got a cool camera bag for it and my camera. Those flaps are removable by velcro, so I can pass cords under it - I could carry and source and amp in there if I wanted to.
DSCF5235.jpg

Clarinet stuff! Bottom is my new mouthpiece bag, to keep my rubber mouthpiece safe and away from my Clarinet. The rubber can cause the nickel to oxidize faster I've heard. Left is a mysterious black case I'll describe later (maybe you can pick out the Vandoren symbol on it) Top right is my new M13 mouthpiece in box.
DSCF5236.jpg

No flash. And it's not blurry!
DSCF5239.jpg

The new mouthpiece. I have yet to try it over my current B45 I described here. edit: OK, just compared. The M13 is awesome! The Profile 88 thing is a bit weird and would definitely take some getting used to, but the tone is amazing. It's much darker than the B45 and kind of contricts things (in terms of volume), but has a much more refined sound.
DSCF5243.jpg

Gee, what was that black case in the above trio of Clarinet gifts? This is it. It's a real nice reed resurfacing kit. Now I don't have to keep buying reed rush! The glass where it looks frosted isn't actually frosted, it's some kind of weird abrasive they've made the glass into. The large thing is for laying the reed on and rubbing with the grain to smooth the bottom and any warping that has occured. The stick is for working the top.
DSCF5247.jpg

LAZOOOOR! My sister got me this. I've been having some fun with the cat chasing it.
smily_headphones1.gif
Gotta be careful though, it's a Class IIIa.
DSCF5251.jpg

Games MYST: URU: Complete Chronicles and Half-Life, both of which come highly recommended.
DSCF5254.jpg

New case for palm pilot. I think you should be able to pick out which one the new one is. In the old one the tabs broke on the inside, so my Visor Edge would clip in, but could slide out sideways - not a good thing!
DSCF5255.jpg

In case the other pic didn't show the wear and shininess on the old one enough.

Well, that's it. A lot of great presents. Also not shown is ROTK: EE, which my Aunt sent me. I have yet to watch it, but man does it look awesome! 50 minutes of extra footage baby!!

Anyway, I'm still bummed about the Nintendo DS thing. Sure, my parents went out and bought me a $2000 early Christmas present but I still wanted the DS. My mom said she wanted to get one for me but my dad wouldn't let her because he said I wouldn't use it (ummm...why else would I want it other than to use it?) I mean, my sister got a brand new Dell Dimension 3000 (nice...has a 3.0 ghz. P4 w/HT) and a bunch of other fun stuff and the only thing I really asked for was the DS and instead I got a whole bunch of clothes, and no, I'm not going to take pictures of them. Most all of the stuff above is from relatives. What I got from my parents was just clothes. Meanwhile my sister unveils a brand new computer and a bunch of other fun stuff. And if it isn't disappointing enough already, one of the last presents I opened was ... Microsoft Office. And my dad already told me he had ordered it for me and got it for real cheap through his company. I already have Office 2000 and barely ever use it, and now I have 2003 student and teacher edition which basically adds a bunch of features I don't need. Ugh, when I opened that it just plain insulted me.

Sure, tell me I'm spoiled and greedy and starving children in 3rd world countries don't have food to go to bed with (bad wording, but you get the point)... I'm still disappointed. It would be one thing if my Clarinet was perfect and where I want it to be but for some reason all of the pads are shot and they fizzle terribly. And my dad was completely unwilling to take it back to get it repaired before the holiday.

Anyway, I still got a bunch of great stuff, and on the bright side, I got $75 unexpectedly from my Uncle I plan to use towards some Shure E2c's or MD33's, which I have wanted for a very long time (you guys have talked me out of it before, but I need the isolation).

edits: The pics were too big, so I uploaded them to photobucket, which automatically resizes them.

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #93 of 107
That is awesome Rick! I've seen the commercials for those. How is it? They sure as heck look cool, but I've heard they're like $500. Ouch.

Jan 3, 2005 at 1:22 AM Post #95 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by MD1032
Well you're all going to think me a spoiled greedy moron after I tell you about this and you deserve to think so, but basically my Christmas was disappointing. I got a bunch of little stuff, cool stuff, but I didn't get the Nintendo DS which was the only thing I asked for for Christmas. I basically got some awesome stuff for my Clarinet I'll show you from my grampa, and some cool games and movies and stuff, and a whole lot of clothes, but no DS, which has me really bummed out. Anyway, I happened to get a mini-tripod also from my grampa for my crappy digital camera so I can finally take some real pics for you guys (and you know I'm nuts about pics, even though my hand shakes just terribly)! Here goes:

DSCF5229.jpg

Here's my new mini-tripod.
(snip)

I don't know, I think your gifts show a lot of thought on what you can use and like inside your life. Useful things that you will use a lot and give a lot of thought to those who gave it to you.

Don't doubt your parents, though. I bet there's a DS in your future...
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 3:19 AM Post #96 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
I don't know, I think your gifts show a lot of thought on what you can use and like inside your life. Useful things that you will use a lot and give a lot of thought to those who gave it to you.

Don't doubt your parents, though. I bet there's a DS in your future...
biggrin.gif

Yes, I completely agree with you on that. These really are useful things! But every year I always get some really good gadget/toy to play with and spend my free time on. I can't exactly carry around an M13 and have fun with it.

Well my mom came up to me and suggested maybe we could work something out if I really wanted the DS. She's cool like that. My dad has been a total loser in some respects, I really gotta talk to him and give him heck about the situation with the Clarinet. Every single time I play it its imperfections nag me. Ugh.

Jan 3, 2005 at 5:43 PM Post #99 of 107
for the last time...she's not my sister or mom or g/f or blah...i'm still gonna get pm'd
rolleyes.gif
...but here is a link to more pics of her (name's Daria)...

the new Blackberries comin' out in not too long might be nice...or the reported Motorola Ipod thingy...the RAZR has mp3 ring tone capability, but very limited storage for 'em...

Jan 3, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #100 of 107
Man, growing up kind of sucks!
biggrin.gif

Barely any of my relatives got me anything, and yet, I got each of them something. I think there was some collective conspiracy against me to not get me any gifts this year
biggrin.gif

I still like buying gifts for people, especially the youngin's in the clan. I also enjoy seeing people that I only get to see once a year. But man, I didn't get a single actual gift this year. I got some cash
rolleyes.gif
and a few gift certificates :rollseyes:, but c'mon... I'm twenty-friggin-three. I think I'd rather get a cheapo gift than cash. Either way, I spent about 8 times the amount that I received in return. I know this, because I can total the exact cash value of all my "gifts", as I did not get a single actual material good. Not that I really care about what I get, it just bugs me no one can be bothered to actually put some thought into it anymore. It's not the material crap, it's the thought.

It does me feel good that I'm finally at the point where I can buy everyone good gifts. I'm not complaining that I didn't rake in a huge score. That isn't the point. But where's the rest of the Christmas spirit? It seems like Christmas has turned into a swap meet of monetary value and no one even shops or cares anymore.

One of the best Christmas years I've ever had was a few years ago when I went to Hawaii with my GFs family. They had a great idea where no one bought anyone any gifts. Instead everyone used the money to take a bad ass trip and spend Christmas with in eachothers company and toes in the sand. I'd suggest that to my family, but they are too lame to entertain the idea
biggrin.gif

Jan 3, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #101 of 107
Let's see:

-40G Ipod
-Grado SR-60
-HP standalone Photo Printer
-A Swiss Military watch which is remarkably similar to an Omega Seamaster.
-Belkin FM Transmitter for ipod
-Seinfeld DVDs
-Godfather Trilogy DVDs
-A significant amount in Best Buy dollars.
-1 yr subscription to Popular Science
-A sweet Columbia Pullover fleece
-A Suede-Type jacket for the spring
-Pair of New Balance 991s
-The inevitable undewear, socks, shirts, etc
-Some books (DaVinvi Code, Dilbert, a few cookbooks, Poker Strategy, etc)

Overall, it was a very good year but my family always tends to go a little overboard around the holiday. Sounds kind of cheesy, but this was really the first year I have had enough cash to buy my family nice gifts too. It was a great feeling to finally be able to reciprocate.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #102 of 107
A tooth extraction, it was the best gift I ever received even though it only cost £28.... the relief from the agony ensured I enjoyed Christmas pain free. (no, this is not a joke I'm serious)

Mike.

Jan 3, 2005 at 9:46 PM Post #103 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkFloyd
A tooth extraction, it was the best gift I ever received even though it only cost £28.... the relief from the agony ensured I enjoyed Christmas pain free. (no, this is not a joke I'm serious)

Damn good!!!
biggrin.gif
I'm glad you are finally pain free. Makes me think that the dentists in GB have been watching too much Little Shop of Horrors

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #104 of 107
I was rewarded with the gift of a "Pinch my Nipples" Barbie Doll,which some have informed me is not yet available in some parts of the country.

Jan 3, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #105 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Damn good!!!
biggrin.gif
I'm glad you are finally pain free. Makes me think that the dentists in GB have been watching too much Little Shop of Horrors

They've been watching Head_Fi Snake.....

thanks for your kind words man (I've got serious toothache as I type this arghhh!!!!!)

Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back