What Desktop Amps are a great match for Grado PS500
Jan 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mjcp

New Head-Fier
What Desktop Amps are a great match for Grado PS500.  I am looking for the best match regardless of price up to $1,000.  I am considering the following:

Shiit Asgard
Burson Soloist
Phonitor Auditor
JDS Labs Objective 2

How are these with the PS500s?  Should I be looking at others?

I have a mac mini connected to a Weiss Minerva DAC output to preamp, amp and speakers.  I am looking to add headphones into this set-up.  I listen to mostly progressive and alternative rock.

Would greatly appreciate the input.

Thank you

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #2 of 3
For me I thought the Headroom Desktop Amp / DAC sounds pretty good with a Grado headphone.  This is because I think the Headroom amps tend to be a little warmer sounding than other more neutral amps.  A Grado is typically bright sounding so taming the high end and giving a little low end kick is usually helpful.

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-desktop-amp--dac.php
Cost: $850 or less

Make sure you fully understand the Auditor before making that your purchase.  The connectivity can be an issue for most people.  If I remember right all the Auditor has for inputs are XLR connectors.

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
For me I thought the Headroom Desktop Amp / DAC sounds pretty good with a Grado headphone.  This is because I think the Headroom amps tend to be a little warmer sounding than other more neutral amps.  A Grado is typically bright sounding so taming the high end and giving a little low end kick is usually helpful.

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-desktop-amp--dac.php
Cost: $850 or less

Make sure you fully understand the Auditor before making that your purchase.  The connectivity can be an issue for most people.  If I remember right all the Auditor has for inputs are XLR connectors.

Do you also think the Headroom Micro is warm? I think if anything, there is just a small touch of warmth. Like so small it's barely detectable by my ears. Usually when I detect this it's actually due to the DAC or source that's connected! The Micro seems warmer than the Magni for sure, but not as warm as my Clip+. Usually when I use warmer gear it makes me hate the HD-650, but the Micro has been good with everything.

I haven't had my Micro "fix" any trebly headphones. Perhaps the Desktop version is much warmer.

I've always wondered what people thought about the Headroom amps, but there's not as much discussion on them these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back