What defines a good recording?
Sep 16, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by basic-chanel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good music defines a good recording.

i beg to differ. there's some music that i absolutely love, but which is horribly recorded. conversely, there is plenty of well-recorded crappy music (see: Jazz at the Pawn Shop).

Sep 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i beg to differ. there's some music that i absolutely love, but which is horribly recorded. conversely, there is plenty of well-recorded crappy music (see: Jazz at the Pawn Shop).

But it's still good music, isn't it?

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

But it's still good music, isn't it?

but that's not the question.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

but that's not the question.

Once again, good music yields a good recording. So I believe it still helps in answering the question.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Once again, good music yields a good recording. So I believe it still helps in answering the question.

good music makes a good album, it makes good listening... it does not make a good recording.

i know what you're trying to say, but it requires a tortured connotation of the word 'recording' to get there.

Sep 16, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Your logic here doesn't hold up, Coco. Let's say we both enjoy The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", as I sincerely hope we both do.

There have been at least 30 different pressings, masterings, international printings, etc. of this album. Some contain more musical information, or more accurate musical information, than others. They cannot all be equally good recordings, so some must clearly be better than others. Even though the music stays the same, the recording differs greatly.

A music lover can see through a bad recording, but why bother if you don't have to?

Sep 18, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

i know what you're trying to say, but it requires a tortured connotation of the word 'recording' to get there.

Then you are missing the point, I'm afraid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your logic here doesn't hold up, Coco. Let's say we both enjoy The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", as I sincerely hope we both do.

Sorry to dissapoint, but I do not enjoy that album nor The Beatles for that matter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There have been at least 30 different pressings, masterings, international printings, etc. of this album. Some contain more musical information, or more accurate musical information, than others. They cannot all be equally good recordings, so some must clearly be better than others. Even though the music stays the same, the recording differs greatly.

Do they honestly differ greatly? Somehow, I seriously doubt that the majority of them have a significant sound difference, at least to the point that it is worth pursuing an obscure copy of it. And that's if they have any difference at all.

Asides from that, it's still Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Then you are missing the point, I'm afraid.

And with that response, you went from someone who was earnestly making a contribution to the discussion to someone who's just bullheadedly out to differ from the pack...

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Do they honestly differ greatly? Somehow, I seriously doubt that the majority of them have a significant sound difference, at least to the point that it is worth pursuing an obscure copy of it. And that's if they have any difference at all.

Asides from that, it's still Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, and that's all that really matters, isn't it?

Whether they differ greatly is subjective, but they clearly differ noticeably. While we evidently disagree about their merit, I feel that seeking out excellent recordings is akin to seeking out excellent playback equipment, the search for both being the stated purpose of this forum. If you honestly don't care about the technical quality of your recording, musical quality aside, I question how much good you'll get out of head-fi.

Not to say I don't like having you around, though.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 30
Are you sure about the international pressings sounding different? That just doesn't seem right to me
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #29 of 30
For me when I listen to an album the music must pop out if that makes any sense, the first track of michael buble's call me irresponsible is I think a good example. I usually make a judgement within a minute if an album is worth keeping or not.

Sep 21, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caution /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure about the international pressings sounding different? That just doesn't seem right to me
confused_face_2.gif

It's not a hard and fast rule, of course, but many old records are rumored to have superior Japanese pressings. This is especially true of old Beatles records, but I've listened to differences between European and Japanese pressings of more recent albums and definitely been able to tell a difference.

You can hear for yourself on more than one album over at the Steve Hoffman forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back