What DDC would be best for me?
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KUROKOCCHL

Head-Fier
Hi, recently updated my setup and was wondering what DDC would be best for my listening chain. Only reason I want to add one is to remove any noise/jitter from my source (Desktop). I will be only using Qobuz from the Desktop app and connect the DDC to my Soekris 2541 DAC via AES (No I2S Input available). I want to try not to use too much software so if a DDC has a streamer I'll likely not use that feature but this is my current listening chain and DDC's i'm looking at:

Desktop (Qobuz) > USB > Soekris DAC 2541 > Mogami Gold XLR Interconnects > Violectric V281 Amp > He1000V2
  • Audio-GD DI20HE
  • Audio-GD DI24HE
  • Denafrips Iris
  • Holo Audio Red
  • Singxer-SU6
My budget is $400-$1000, preferably on the lesser side but if any other information is needed to give a recommendation please let me know

Feb 23, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 7
Hi, recently updated my setup and was wondering what DDC would be best for my listening chain. Only reason I want to add one is to remove any noise/jitter from my source (Desktop). I will be only using Qobuz from the Desktop app and connect the DDC to my Soekris 2541 DAC via AES (No I2S Input available). I want to try not to use too much software so if a DDC has a streamer I'll likely not use that feature but this is my current listening chain and DDC's i'm looking at:

Desktop (Qobuz) > USB > Soekris DAC 2541 > Mogami Gold XLR Interconnects > Violectric V281 Amp > He1000V2
  • Audio-GD DI20HE
  • Audio-GD DI24HE
  • Denafrips Iris
  • Holo Audio Red
  • Singxer-SU6
My budget is $400-$1000, preferably on the lesser side but if any other information is needed to give a recommendation please let me know
They're all pretty well regarded, but I'd go Holo Red personally - if it was me. Good company, good products. But hey, you do you. Make sure whatever you get has a good return policy and just send it back and try another if you don't like your first choice.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 7
They're all pretty well regarded, but I'd go Holo Red personally - if it was me. Good company, good products. But hey, you do you. Make sure whatever you get has a good return policy and just send it back and try another if you don't like your first choice.
Yeah, I keep looking back at that one since it looks like it has the best build quality but I see more people are using it a streamer than a DDC so I worried that as a DDC it might not be better than lower value options available

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 7
I concur -- Holo Red.

Feb 24, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #5 of 7
Yeah, I keep looking back at that one since it looks like it has the best build quality but I see more people are using it a streamer than a DDC so I worried that as a DDC it might not be better than lower value options available
The Red has "dedicated" DDC versus Streamer modes based on whether it detects an Ethernet or USB input on boot up so it is equally competent at both functions.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 7
The Red has "dedicated" DDC versus Streamer modes based on whether it detects an Ethernet or USB input on boot up so it is equally competent at both functions.
Got it, saw it just got an update in January that made it possibly sound better so its probably the most likely choice for me right now even though setting it up could be confusing at first from what I've read. Thank you!

Feb 24, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #7 of 7
Got it, saw it just got an update in January that made it possibly sound better so its probably the most likely choice for me right now even though setting it up could be confusing at first from what I've read. Thank you!
You may want to wait on getting the new one if you use Roon as the new version is not yet re-certified for Roon. A gently used older model (still Roon certified) may be preferred,

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back