What DAP has the best unamped output and reliability?
Sep 4, 2008 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

1967cutlass

500+ Head-Fier
I don't know what's good anymore. I'm not sure if I'm ready for an ipod (I hate itunes, drag and drop is just about the only thing I can stand) but the ipod touch is a pretty amazing piece of technology.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 40
the Sony A82x series have really good sound unamped

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 40
Get a Cowon D2. Strong amp, very good sound, fm and digital radio, SD card slot, drag-and-drop files, supports (almost) all codecs....Amazing little gadget. I have an ipod too. My last one.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #5 of 40
The cowon has a high bas roll-off though; the sony's pump out lush bass as if there's no tomorrow!
biggrin.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ocean7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My vote for the D2. If you want more bass just get a tiny tiny Fiio amp for $10 and you're all set.

A $10 amp that improves bass? Please tell me more.

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 40
Best output and reliability. I've owned 3 Cowon products, 2 of which have been in for repairs, none of which currently work.

I love their sound quality but their build quality, from my experience, has been awful.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 40
karma is a good output but not the best surely.

all outputs have problems: clip, sony (newer models only since 600 series), sansa clip and fuze, old iriver 140 and 300, ipod shuffle 1g have no roll off of bass with LOW OHM phones.

they however have varying degrees of success with producing stereo image and often, other than clip (from what i have heard), they all hiss. i have heard all of them except the clip and they are all hissy : some to the point of being almost impossible to listen to (iriver and sony, but iriver nearly the worst i have heard).

that is with low ohm sensitive phones.

with larger phones with lower driving requirements, the amp will not be overburdened and bass will not roll off. most phones above 100ohm should not pose a huge problem for portables to drive, but they will not be loud and perhaps lose a bit of an edge. they will however not hiss even with iriver models.

all my portables (meizu m6, cowon d2, sony 600, 800, ipod shuffle 1g, iriver 140, ipod touch and my kenwood, sony, panasonic and sharp md units) all sound good. for their tasks: equally as good.

meizu: hisses but has warm sound with great eq.
d2: good with large phones but poor with low ohm phones.
ipods: great stereo image with typical bass roll off, but gapless.
sony: hiss but good bass and decent stereo image.
iriver: no bass roll off (only older models) but hiss like mad.
md units: underpowered, overamped lows and highs but no hiss.

they all sound wonderful but the only ones with true native gapless are ipod and md.

this thread will only get votes for certain players, will not find truth about which is best as each player has a certain place where it will fall on its face for performance next to others and certain points where it will cause heads to turn.

Sep 5, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #13 of 40
Not really gonna comment on 'best' sound, for the reasons sigzheo mentioned above. But since OP mentioned an interest in the iPod Touch, why not wait for the new line-up to be announced (supposed to be this 9th)? The current gen is a really good player and does what it needs to do well. It's really something you've got to hold in your hands to appreciate. Of course you'd have to sacrifice drag-and-drop; don't ever, ever, ever expect Apple to release any players with native drag-and-drop.

Sound output quality amongst DAPs, like a lot of other things discussed here, is always oozing with hyperbole from all sides. Unless of course you've got specific needs in mind (what do you want to drive from the DAP? Do you need lots of current...? etc.).

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #14 of 40
I never heard a lot of hiss with my A728 using ER-4P, but the ER-4P are not nearly as sensitive as some IEMs are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back