What DACs should I consider to go with the EF2A? (low budget)
Dec 11, 2010 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Satellite_6

1000+ Head-Fier
I need some advice. I am considering buying a DAC to hopefully improve my HiFiMAN EF2A -> Sennheiser HD 650 setup. From what I read the DAC on this thing isn't very good, although I'm pretty satisfied with it, I am looking for an improvement. The DAC on the EF2A is called Burr-Brown PCM2702. I don't really want to spend more than I did on the EF2A originally ($200). Would DIY be an option to consider?

So I have two basic questions:

1) Will a DAC in this price range offer a significant improvement?
2) If so, what DAC should I get? :) 

I have not done any searching but I looked at the 1st page at least and found this: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/526674/recommend-me-a-usb-dac

So should I consider these HRT products? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=HRT&x=0&y=0

It does not have to be a USB DAC because my laptop has USB, firewire, eSATA, etc. I'm looking for something that is flat/neutral sounding and does not upsample. . . . 

Thanks for any help!

Satellite

Dec 11, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #2 of 5
I settled on a Matrix Mini-i with a MKVII+ and Senn 650s.  I tried a DAC II and a DacMagic but personally preferred the Matrix for it's very smooth and engaging presentation. The Matrix is also versatile and future proof if you want to go balanced later.

I think it would cost a lot more money to get a significant improvement.

Dec 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
I settled on a Matrix Mini-i with a MKVII+ and Senn 650s.  I tried a DAC II and a DacMagic but personally preferred the Matrix for it's very smooth and engaging presentation. The Matrix is also versatile and future proof if you want to go balanced later.

I think I'd have to spend a lot of money to hear a significant improvement.

Well that's out of my price range. . . I'm really not looking to spend $300+. . . I'm wondering if I can get a significant improvement over the EF2A's DAC without spending more than like $250 absolute max. If not I'll make due with the EF2A for a while. 

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 5

Quote:

Well that's out of my price range. . . I'm really not looking to spend $300+. . . I'm wondering if I can get a significant improvement over the EF2A's DAC without spending more than like $250 absolute max. If not I'll make due with the EF2A for a while. 

Sorry about that, I saw your limit and should have said try to get one used as I've seen them FS for $220 - $250. It's been great serving double duty; updating the SQ of an older (but stable) Pioneer player and as a DAC for my computer. I've used the headphone amp section on occasion and it's much better than I expected.

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #5 of 5

Quote:
Quote:

Sorry about that, I saw your limit and should have said try to get one used as I've seen them FS for $220 - $250. It's been great serving double duty; updating the SQ of an older (but stable) Pioneer player and as a DAC for my computer. I've used the headphone amp section on occasion and it's much better than I expected.

Hmm. . . well I'll look for it used I guess. Thanks for being the only person to reply anyway. 

I've been reading more about the Music Streamer II thing and that might be what I'm looking for. . . 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back