What DAC? Up to $1000...or maybe up to $1500.
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Oh oh, the bug has bitten me again. I'm thinking about possibly getting a new DAC. I currently have a Stello DA220, which is a darn good DAC, but I'm wondering what's out there right now up to $1000, and perhaps as much as $1500 that would surpass what I already have.

I do love how punchy and warm my current DAC is, and hey, maybe I don't need to upgrade at all, but again, the bug has bitten me and I'm curious...

Dec 12, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #2 of 20
Have you heard an R2R DAC like the Pontus II?

Dec 12, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #3 of 20
Have you heard an R2R DAC like the Pontus II?
No, I haven't. The last time I went to a meet, they were just starting to come out (gain popularity), but I was there more for social reasons then to actually listen to anything. I spent the day hanging out with LFF, and don't think I really listened to anything. I've met the Schiit guys, but haven't actually listened to any of their stuff, lol. I think the last time I actively listened to stuff at a meet was 2009 or 2010.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 7:16 PM Post #4 of 20
The Pontus II is worth looking into and a demo. Used pricing on it is also coming down, though it's at the top of your price range.

Dec 12, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 20
I'll definitely take a look at it. Thanks.

One other thing I didn't mention before. The Pontus II does meet this requirement, but I do want a balanced DAC.
I assumed as such! It's a musical dac, presents with a good soundstage, is holographic, built like a brick outhouse, could be a touch more detailed for some.

Dec 13, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 20
I guess just a little info on where I'm at might help with suggestions.

The Stello DA220 came out in 2004. It was originally around $1200. I think I got it used from a Head-Fi friend for $750. It was, at the time, highly recommended, and reviewers often compared it to DACs that cost $3000 or more. If memory serves me correctly, it uses an AKM chip. This is connected to my Mac with a VLINK USB to SPDIF converter, since the original Stello DA220 did not have a USB input. The Stello can accept only accept upto 24/96, but upsamples to 24/192.

What I don't really know, is how 18+ years has affected the sound quality versus price ratio. I get the impression that some of the DACs out of China punch well above their weight in price, however, I have no actual reference for what that means or sounds like. This is where I was hoping some of the people here could chime in.

I was initially considering things like the Bifrost 2/64 or the ADI 2 FS, but I really don't know what I would be getting, or if those would be side-grade instead of upgrade. The Denefrips Ares also seems interesting, and I've heard people say that ladder DACs were amazing, but again, I have no actual frame of reference. From what I've been able to read and find on YouTube, I take it that they are more musical, but perhaps less detailed, or perhaps, they lack a little of the punchiness that one might find in a delta-sigma DAC.

For reference, I listen to a lot of pop music, with rock, jazz, and country sprinkled in.

For headphones, I have HD650s, HD280 Pros, UE10s, and a few other random IEMs from back in the day. For my speakers I'm running Adam Audio A7Xs with an M-Audio SBX10.

Any thoughts, reviews of products, or threads that you think might help me are greatly appreciated.

Dec 13, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #9 of 20
Best DAC below $3500 right now is Gustard R26.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #10 of 20
Eximus dp1. Still holds up extremely well, timeless, beautiful chassis, April Music like your Stello, balanced and rca, and in your budget used. Took a Wavedream for me to 'beat' it, but it wasn't embarrassed by it by any stretch.

Dec 13, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #11 of 20
Dec 14, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 20
Why not check it out and find it yourself? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:30 AM Post #14 of 20
Dec 14, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #15 of 20
Bet you too (ALL of them).:ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back