What DAC Under $350?
Dec 7, 2009 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sektr

New Head-Fier
I'm in the market to buy a DAC and amp for my Denon D5000s, and I figured I'd ask about the DAC here. My budget is $350 for the DAC, and the setup will be as follows:

Auzentech Forte -> Coaxial Cable -> DAC -> Appropriate interconnect -> Amp -> D5000

I will be using a coaxial cable for sure, as I want to maintain the X-Fi benefits of my sound card so USB is not an option, and I'd need an adaptor to use optical, so the DAC must have a full sized coaxial connector.

Any recommendations fitting my needs in the $350 price range? Thanks guys!

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #3 of 12
im extremely happy with my Headroom Micro DAC

can take USB, Coax (with a mono 1/8" adpater, can get it from Headroom), and optical.

You can find it on their site or used on the forums here....great DAC for the money.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sektr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for recommendations, keep em coming! I'm going to skip the VDAC as it's a portable, battery power is blech, I'll go check out the other ones.

the VDAC is portable and battery powered?

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 12
Gamma 2 DIY. I bought one done by MisterX for 325. Wonderful sound, better than Compass. No built in amplifier though, although it can power low impedance phones.

Dec 8, 2009 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sektr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for recommendations, keep em coming! I'm going to skip the VDAC as it's a portable, battery power is blech, I'll go check out the other ones.

It is not a portable, nor is it battery powered!
MUSICDIRECT - MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-DAC DIGITAL TO ANALOG CONVERTER

Also forgot to include a
tongue.gif
with this. No offense intended!

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #9 of 12
Little Dot DAC_I
happy_face1.gif

The good thing about the DAC_I is that it is equipped with balanced output so it's futureproof

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #12 of 12
Matrix Mini-i... AudioGD Compass... Maverick TubeMagic D1... Audiotrak Dr.DAC2 DX... there really are several options worth considering.

best regards.
bearmann

Users who are viewing this thread

Back