What DAC is in Sony BDP-S590?
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Walkdude

New Head-Fier
I recently got a BDP-S590 at my local junk shop and downgraded its firmware to allow it to play my SACDs backed up on DVD+R. (Sony--in a fit of anti-consumer behavior that is becoming all too common-- removed this functionality in the early teens so that inserting a copied DVD+R SACD gives the error "FALSE.")

Anyway, I am using the RCA analogue stereo jacks on the back and I'm wondering what sort of DAC is in BDP-S590. As is typical with Sony, the manual says nothing about what sort of hardware is inside. Searching the internet also seems to be completely fruitless, except in revealing that people think these players suck. Surely the lowly BDP-S590 is not capable of "native DSD" playback? My ears are not good enough to tell...it sounds fantastic to me. The screen says it is playing "DSD 2ch" but I wonder if it isn't getting resampled to 48KHz PCM before being converted to analog?

Just for fun, I also tried the optical digital out and it didn't sound too good at all: kind of shrill and tinny but that could be the fault of the DAC in the el cheapo Amazon amp I have; in any case adding another layer of conversion reveals nothing about the BDP-S590...I was just curious to see what would happen. (The Amazon amp is the only thing I have that accepts optical input anyway...)

Anyone who knows about electronics ever taken on of these players apart to identify what kind of DAC produces the analog audio output on BDP-S590?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2 of 6
Mar 19, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #3 of 6
Looking at the picture from Encompass, I see a big chip in the middle of the board with Sony CXD90008G-AA on it. Can't find a datasheet indicating what this thing is exactly.

The Toshiba chip (TC-blah,blah-NV-blah,blah) is probably some nand flash.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Looking at the picture from Encompass, I see a big chip in the middle of the board with Sony CXD90008G-AA on it. Can't find a datasheet indicating what this thing is exactly.

The Toshiba chip (TC-blah,blah-NV-blah,blah) is probably some nand flash.
I'm guessing the Sony chip is a microprocessor of some sort. Maybe that also has a built in dac. Those chips are probably sold on AliExpress, maybe those sellers would know the chip specs. I'm guessing it's nothing noteworthy.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 6
the s590 has the mediatek chipset and will rip sacd's out the ethernet port with the appropriate software on a usb stick.

then you can get something with a decent dsd dac.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 6
the s590 has the mediatek chipset and will rip sacd's out the ethernet port with the appropriate software on a usb stick.

then you can get something with a decent dsd dac.

I know that and have ripped many SACDs. I own a few low-end iFi DACs and a few DAPs that claim to play DSD natively. What is interesting to me about S590 is that it is also a convenient way to actually PLAY both legit. and ripped SACDs. Most dedicated SACD players cost crazy prices and this old blu ray player is super cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back