What Cowon(X9 or C2) would you guys recommend?
May 28, 2013 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

red71rum

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Sansa Clip+, Ipod 3g 64 gig and an Iphone 5(work phone). I have always read that the Cowons had very good sound and now have the opportunity to purchase one. I have been looking at the X9 and the C2. I would be using them with my Triple Fi10's, Sony XBA-3ips, AT M50's, Etys HF3 and Bose QC15(for flights). Which one would you guys recommend?

May 29, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:
I have a Sansa Clip+, Ipod 3g 64 gig and an Iphone 5(work phone). I have always read that the Cowons had very good sound and now have the opportunity to purchase one. I have been looking at the X9 and the C2. I would be using them with my Triple Fi10's, Sony XBA-3ips, AT M50's, Etys HF3 and Bose QC15(for flights). Which one would you guys recommend?

They should both sound the same. The X9 is physically bigger than the C2 and has double the rated battery life, and can be purchased with up to 32GB internal memory (with a microsd slot as well) and the C2 I believe only goes up to 16GB internal with a microsd slot. There are complaints out there about the UI of the C2, but UI has always been a little quirky on the Cowon players. I adapted to the X9 UI within a day or two.

May 29, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #3 of 18
Isn't that because the X9 actually have an okay UI? at the very least usable
to OP
I suggest getting the X9 instead of the C2 if thats your only choice , the battery life is worth the size and there is a measure of UI improvement in it

May 29, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:
They should both sound the same. The X9 is physically bigger than the C2 and has double the rated battery life, and can be purchased with up to 32GB internal memory (with a microsd slot as well) and the C2 I believe only goes up to 16GB internal with a microsd slot. There are complaints out there about the UI of the C2, but UI has always been a little quirky on the Cowon players. I adapted to the X9 UI within a day or two.

Quote:
Isn't that because the X9 actually have an okay UI? at the very least usable
to OP
I suggest getting the X9 instead of the C2 if thats your only choice , the battery life is worth the size and there is a measure of UI improvement in it

So I guess I will go with the X9. Is it fairly portable, and is the amp much better than say, my lowly Sansa Clip+?

May 29, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

So I guess I will go with the X9. Is it fairly portable, and is the amp much better than say, my lowly Sansa Clip+?

The X9 is the white one next to the two Clip Zips. It is better at driving bigger headphones than the Clips, but I don't know about IEMs because I don't use them.

May 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

The X9 is the white one next to the two Clip Zips. It is better at driving bigger headphones than the Clips, but I don't know about IEMs because I don't use them.

That is a great picture, helps me see the size comparison between all the devices. I imagine it would drive my M50's better than my clip+, of course I don't the the M50's are that difficult to drive though.

May 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:
The m50 is rather easy to drive , but the X9 have a more powerful amp than the clip + so it would drive them better

That's what I thought. I bought the 8gig version of the X9 last night and will rely on the microsd to bring up the storage. Speaking of the microSD, how big a microSD card can I use? I went to the Cowon site and it did not say anything in the tech specs. I have a 16gig card that I use for my clip+ but would get a large card if the X9 supported it.

May 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:
That's what I thought. I bought the 8gig version of the X9 last night and will rely on the microsd to bring up the storage. Speaking of the microSD, how big a microSD card can I use? I went to the Cowon site and it did not say anything in the tech specs. I have a 16gig card that I use for my clip+ but would get a large card if the X9 supported it.

32GB card will work fine.

May 31, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #11 of 18
May 31, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

You mean the number of files, or the size of them?

The number. Cowon's firmware only will read a certain number of files on the internal, and a certain number on the external memory. I'm not sure what that number is on the x9 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back