What country makes the finest audio equipment?
Jun 22, 2003 at 11:25 AM Post #16 of 35
USA. Add Legacy-Audio to the list.

Jun 22, 2003 at 11:40 AM Post #17 of 35
I'd say USA but I would give a close second to England.If I'm talking speakers I'd say throw in Canada as a close third behind US and England.

Jun 22, 2003 at 11:55 AM Post #18 of 35
RE) US products - Don't forget Wadia!! AWESOME stuff, IMHO!!

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #19 of 35
I'm sorry I left out Italy, France, and Switzerland (and everywhere else); I'm not familiar with equipment from those countries - that's why I left the "other" choice.

Jun 24, 2003 at 2:59 AM Post #20 of 35
I didn't vote. Here in North America we are obviously going to be bombarded by US and Canadian companies as well as Japanese but the European gear is not well represented. I know that Italy has some of the best EE's in the world and their speakers are often said to be the best demonstration of actual music reproduction. That said...Italy was not even mentioned.

For the most companies we are aware of it would seem US would win, then Japan...but I'm sure if we popped over to www.groovehandle.org or www.whathifi.com or some other British site, their opinions would be much more biased towards British or European gear. They also have a different "standard." IE, their gear always accents differnent aspects that we in North America would not and vice versa.

Jun 24, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #21 of 35
Australia of course
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:25 AM Post #22 of 35
I have no idea. Who cares?

Some of my favourites:

AudioValve (Germany)
Musical Fidelity (UK)
Manley Labs (USA)
VTL (USA)
Sunfire (USA)
Outlaw (USA?)
Kimber (USA?)
Van Den Hul (UK?)
QED (UK)
Sennheiser (Germany)
Beyer (Germany?)
Pioneer (USA/Japan?)
Shure (Germany?)
d'Appolito (Italian?)
Tag Mclaren (Italian)
Jadis (French)
Jolida (USA)
Wilson Benesch (UK)

When it comes to sounding good, I have no allegiances.

It may interest people that USA has the biggest population of the countries mentioned (I believe, except China [and I'm not even sure that China was mentioned] and maybe Japan), and therefore, sheerly out of statistics, will have the most companies started, and since this site is primarily American, we will see primarily American companies mostly out of sheer advertising.

If one were to break this down on a per capita basis, I suspect the UK would come out ahead.

Jun 30, 2003 at 10:59 AM Post #23 of 35
Dusty Chalk wrote:

"I have no idea. Who cares?"

As far as having a curiosity about people's opinions on this subject, I do.

"When it comes to sounding good, I have no allegiances."

Neither do I. This poll was purely driven by curiosity about other's opinions, not nationalism.

"If one were to break this down on a per capita basis, I suspect the UK would come out ahead."

Aha! *points finger*

Jun 30, 2003 at 7:52 PM Post #25 of 35
Dusty: As far as I know, TAG MacLaren is British. Beyer is German, located near Heidelberg... Van den Hul should either work in the Netherlands or also over here, like Jan Meier (I forgot to put him on the list as honorary Bavarian, btw!
wink.gif
). Pioneer is Japanese. Shure should still be US-American - like Outlaw and Kimber.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:25 PM Post #27 of 35
Hmm, difficult question. Lots of American/Canadian/Australian brands are not available in Europe and vice versa. The only Danish gear widely available outside of Europe is speaker drivers from D-S-T, but lots of other great brands exist, such as Thule, Densen, GamuT and many others whom someone in the US or Canada have probably never heard of. Same for Sweden: Is Copland, Primare, QLN, S.A.T. etc. available in the US? Similarly, many of the American brands listed in this thread are (AFAIAA) not avalable here.

/U.

PS: Out of sheer patritism, I of course voted for Denmark
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:58 PM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

Avantgarde-USA

I was under the impression that AvantGarde were German
wink.gif

That said, the list of US manufacturers is impressive to behold. Perhaps we need to consider the UK, Canada, Australia et al. as being members of The Commonwealth
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 9:07 PM Post #29 of 35
Nisbeth: For cunning internet users that's not really relevant, anyway. Nevertheless, almost every brand worldwide seems available in Germany. I think, legislation, jurisdiction and import taxation always play important roles in such cases. For example, the common prejudice about America here is that you have to make your product absolutely fool-proof, if you don't want to end up one day with a dumb customer and his smart lawyer sueing Millions out of you. So, I guess, European manufacturers and US import/distribution companies always think twice before they dare to enter/bring something to the US market.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2003 at 9:21 PM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by stymie miasma
I was under the impression that AvantGarde were German
wink.gif

That said, the list of US manufacturers is impressive to behold. Perhaps we need to consider the UK, Canada, Australia et al. as being members of The Commonwealth
tongue.gif

I wasn't too sure about that one, well there is an AvantGarde USA. Just just there are two Sonys. However, I don't know for sure if they really are two different companies. Good speakers nevertheless
tongue.gif

http://www.avantgarde-usa.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back