What contributes most to sound quality,headphones or DAC?And what headphones should I get?
Jun 19, 2016 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Doomski

New Head-Fier
I currently got a galaxy S4 and a pair of LG quadbeat 3 from my g4 that got broke.So now I don't know what to save for first,an htc 10 or headphones?

And for the headphones,I mostly listen to coldplay and some drum and bass,my budget is around 100$.What do you recommend? I want closed headphones with a wide soundstage,I don't want earphones.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 19, 2016 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 4
what contribute more in sound quality in my opinion and experience is a good pair of headphone first, then an amp and last DAC. Also getting a wide and open soundstage in a close headphone is harder to find. If you want more soundstage getting a open can simplify your search.

Jun 19, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #3 of 4
sound quality is from a good combination of good components and sources. 128 mp3s aren't going to sound very good with a nice DAC/amp and nice headphones.
Aux sound out from phones is not that good in my experience. I'd recommend a headphone dac/amp. Some dac/amps get enough power from the phone and some need a powered USB hub. Check before buying. HiFimeDIY makes an Android Dac/amp and maybe the Fiio K1 doesn't need extra power. Both budget dac/amps

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

Jun 19, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 4
Upgrading my earphones/headphones made a much bigger difference to my listening experience than source did. I spent most of my budget on earphones, I worked my way up to a set of ie800`s and every step up was noticeable; it`s not like I got to a certain level of earphone and the source capped off the quality.

For instance, my ie800`s always sound better than my cheaper gear through the same source. I recently bought a Fiio Q1 and an e17k, and they don`t make a huge difference, but a very noticeable one. Though again, most of my gear scales up similarly, my Fiio EM3 is improved just as much as my ie800`s are. But the sound produced from my $20 EM3`s and $180 DAC/AMP don`t get anywhere close to a solid $200 set of earphones. I would only invest in a better source if you have a set of really nice headphones, otherwise the gear will probably make a bigger difference.

If you`re intent on upgrading your source, I personally found a DAC to make a much larger difference than an AMP. An AMP is more useful with larger headphones and output impedance. Regarding output impedance, if you find your gear sounding drastically different from different sources, chances are one or some of them have a high output impedance and it`s altering the sound of your gear. In this case, even a cheap amp will make a big difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back