What constitutes DC for headphone damage?
Jan 16, 2012 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

k00zk0

Head-Fier
Many recordings have 3hz audio. Not to get into that argument, but phones do push a centimeter of xmax when eq'd to perform here intentionally, and your whole head can rumble with cannon fire aftershock or helicopter blade barometric pressure.

Is this DC, and is it damaging the phones? At times I will see 0.5hz, and my equipment is pushing it, the diaphragm clearly slowly oscillating. Opening some files in a tracker, whether or not this is part of the original content or due to a weird rip, I have seen songs with only a few oscillations for the entire length, holding the entire signal at 50% power for up to a minute at a time, and a single track with a sudden huge DC offset to one side (again, about 50% level) that holds steady until the end of the track. These were CD rips...

At times, I, and I'm sure others, might try eq'ing for equal loudness down to 5hz.. this means +30, 40, 50db at the edge. Certain outputs and amps will pass this DC perfectly and you may want to screen material before doing this.

The question here: Does DC damage because of heat, or some other reason? Even under pure listening of some tracks (usually constantly bassy, textured ambient) the cups of some phones warm up and that's through a cushion of slightly ventilating air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back