What connector type to choose?
Apr 16, 2023 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Thomasr

500+ Head-Fier
1681657971553365993296653149562.jpg

I've got a pair of Beyer DT-880 on order, and I'm planning to mod them for balanced input sooner than later.

Here's the question though: What connector style should I choose? My current stable of headphones all use different cable types:
  • A2DC for my Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7b
  • 2pin for my Sennheiser HD660S
  • 3pin (*edit: 4pin) mini-XLR for my Monolith M1570 (yeah, the nonstandard pinout one :xf_rolleyes:)
  • Single-cup input TRRS with a twist lock barrel for my Sennheiser HD599
If I'm MacGyvering the 880's, I might as well match the cable type of at least one of my other cans right? If the Monoliths used standard pinout I'd definitely go the XLR route, but do I do that anyhow? Convert the Beyers to Monolith (non) spec? I actually kind of like the Audio-Technica A2DC connector but not a lot of other people seem to, so cable choices are limited.

Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2023 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 9
3 pin mini XLR all the way.

Apr 16, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #3 of 9
i also want to mod my DT880 at some point to balanced (probably atleast if the stock wire wears out)

i think, without preference because you own already other cables, minixlr is objectively the best one
it has good contact and the plug/socket seems more solid than other options

second choice for me would be some kind of TRS/3,5mm plug preferably lockable if this exists

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 9
3 pin mini XLR all the way.
Yeah I think that's probably where I'm headed. I'll wire for standard pinout instead of trying to match Monolith's decision-making. Still a chance I'll go A2DC though ...

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #5 of 9
I installed 4 pin Tiny XLRs on my DT880 so I could use my Audeze wired cable. It's better IMHO to go with an industry standard than use something with an obscure pinout. Like anything in this game YMMV.

2013_06030055.jpeg

Apr 16, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 9
I installed 4 pin Tiny XLRs on my DT880 so I could use my Audeze wired cable. It's better IMHO to go with an industry standard than use something with an obscure pinout. Like anything in this game YMMV.

2013_06030055.jpeg

Nice work :)

I have two pair of Audeze and I remain baffled that they chose 4 pin XLRs for a 2 sided setup. If you consider the barrel, that's 10 pins, only 4 of which are needed.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #7 of 9
Nice work :)

I have two pair of Audeze and I remain baffled that they chose 4 pin XLRs for a 2 sided setup. If you consider the barrel, that's 10 pins, only 4 of which are needed.
Thanks.

Audeze bridges the pins inside the 4 pin connectors to reduce the chance of one failing down the road I assume. With 2 pins to each sides +/- you would be guaranteed of a solid connection throughout the life of the cable.

I used 4 pin Tiny XLR on my Fostex T50RP as well, but they are wired quite differently as I can go balanced with a regular cable or run them single ended with a cable only going to the left cup.

If a 4 pin Tiny XLR jack fits in a cup then that's what I'll use for the most versatility.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks.

Audeze bridges the pins inside the 4 pin connectors to reduce the chance of one failing down the road I assume. With 2 pins to each sides +/- you would be guaranteed of a solid connection throughout the life of the cable.

Thanks, I have been meaning to look into it but did not have time. I bought several flavors of connectors from Thomann and I'll eventually mod my DT 880/600s. It will be nice to be able to use the SE and balanced cables I already have for my Audezes.

Apr 16, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks, I have been meaning to look into it but did not have time. I bought several flavors of connectors from Thomann and I'll eventually mod my DT 880/600s. It will be nice to be able to use the SE and balanced cables I already have for my Audezes.
That would be the best choice. The cable pictured is a Q Audio French Silk worth twice the price of the beyers, so it only made sense to mod the beyers to accommodate the cable. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back