What combo is best for HD 598?
Jul 21, 2013 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

asterixi

New Head-Fier
Hi.

I'm new here. I bought hd 598 like half year ago and I was thinking maybe I could improve SQ with amp/DAC? I have soundcard Aureon Terratec 5.1 now.
I was thinking about buying Fiio E17 or E12(amp?) + Fiio D03k(DAC?). Anyone have tested between these 2 combo which one is better or something?

Thanks for the help!
k701smile.gif

Jul 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 5
You could replace the current sound card with the Asus Xonar DG (PCI) sound card, $30 with a $10 mail in rebate this month.
The Xonar DG should improve audio quality over the current sound card.

I believe the Fiio E17 is on sale for around $109.

Jul 24, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #3 of 5
After reading more head-fi I'm so lost what to buy next
basshead.gif

I have 200£ giftcard to amazon uk so maybe something from there. I'm maybe planning to upgrade these 598 to 600/650 at some point, but should I buy DAC/amp first that fits for all of these headphones, like Audioengine D1..HRT micro streamer?..E17?

Can I get surround sound from external DAC/amp for gaming? soundcard -> D1 optical(example) -> headphones?

TY.
happy_face1.gif
I will continue exploring more headfi

Jul 25, 2013 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
After reading more head-fi I'm so lost what to buy next
basshead.gif

I have 200£ giftcard to amazon uk so maybe something from there. I'm maybe planning to upgrade these 598 to 600/650 at some point, but should I buy DAC/amp first that fits for all of these headphones, like Audioengine D1..HRT micro streamer?..E17?

Can I get surround sound from external DAC/amp for gaming? soundcard -> D1 optical(example) -> headphones?

TY.
happy_face1.gif
I will continue exploring more headfi

If you connect the external DAC/amp and motherboard together, using S/PDIF (optical or coaxial), you can still use the motherboard's on-board audio features.

Jul 25, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 5
Do you plan on doing much portable listening? If so, you might want to look at the Fiio E09K + E07K (or E17) combo, and the Amazon gift card with help with that. The E07K docks into the E09K and acts as the DAC while the E09K acts as the amp. You can then take the E07K on the go with a laptop or line out from an iPod. 

You would lose any sound card capabilities, by using USB, but it does isolate any computer noise from the sound card. 

I currently own this combo and it drives my AKG K702s nicely (they have about the same impedance as your HD 598).

Fiio products also sell well on ebay when you decide to change. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back