What closed cans for mostly ipod use?
Apr 3, 2010 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

theNightFly

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks,

Looking for cans in the region of £80-150. I don't want the sound to leak too much as I'll be listening at the office so should I be going for closed design?

Also they need to sound good straight from an Ipod Classic which I'll be using mostly but will also use them from an Onkyo micro system thingy at home.

Short list so far is Senny HD-25, Ultrasone 750 or Audio Tecnica M50??

Comments on these or any others greatfully received.

Cheers
Tony

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #2 of 6
haven't played with the hd-25, but of the other two i prefer the ath-m50. I've used the m50s and a fiio e1 on my ipod classic for quite some time, which i would definitely recommend dropping the $20 or so for.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 6
Music preferences? I probably wouldn't pick the Pro 750 just because it didn't do well with my lower quality mp3's. I really liked them though. The HD25-1's give a very good sound but they are on ear. If it hadn't been for that I would have bought them.

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, music preferences = electronic stuff, progressive house, trance and a bit of rock.

I've got Atrio M5 IEMs which I quite like so wouldn't mind getting some comparisons with them.

Many thanks
Tony

Apr 3, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
I haven't heard your IEM's but for trance and electronic, I'll recommend the Ultrasone HFI-780. I really prefer the Pro 750 but the ipod wont do it justice. The 780 should run fairly well from your ipod but will do better with your Onkyo. They are the bassiest cans I've heard so far, which depending on your preference of bass will be good or bad. Some think the bass is overpowering and the highs harsh but I didn't experience this. It's hard to beat the Ultrasone sound for electronic music. The M50 or HD25-1 should also do pretty well though.

I haven't heard the M50 so my recommendations will be 780>HD25-1>M50. I'm sure I'm forgetting a can but from the list you have I don't really think you can go wrong. I'd do a little more research especially on the 780 as it tends to be a love them or hate them can. If you get the opportunity you should try each of these out. That will give you a better feel for it than anything I can write. Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back