What classical music should I try?
Mar 10, 2009 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

eclectic

100+ Head-Fier
Something to blast from my headphones. Something that says look what youve been missing...

Mar 10, 2009 at 8:24 AM Post #2 of 32
I say this SET. It contains pop music as well as some jazz. The last CD is nothing but classical music but it really is top notch stuff. It's been remastered by Steve Hoffman and it is one of the best classical, not to mention box sets, I own.

The price is great as well.

Mar 10, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #4 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something to blast from your headphones? Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Get the one with real cannons. Boo yah!

There are many versions with real cannons.
tongue.gif

Try the Telarc recording with smoke on the cover or the Mercury Living Presence recordings.
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something to blast from your headphones? Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Get the one with real cannons. Boo yah!

I need something more baroque (modernish).
Will try disk 4 of set. Thanks

Mar 10, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 32
If you have cable tv with musical choice or access to internet radio, start listening to the classical stations and write down the music that appeals to you. Once you have an idea of the type of music you like, you can get more suggestions.

Mar 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by eclectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Something that says look what youve been missing...

I'm looking for something similar..
smily_headphones1.gif

I always love to try out new genres and types of music because I generally like all good music..

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #10 of 32
Yes, interesting, soon to be time consuming, site!

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #14 of 32
If you are a university student, check the library to see of they have a subscription to the Naxos Classical Music Library. This would allow you to hear a huge selection of music. Also check the thread about the Concergtebouw downloads. Besides the three symphonies that Haitink conducted, the previous ten downloads are still available.

For a specific suggestion, Varèse: Ameriques might do it.

Mar 12, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rlynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are a university student, check the library to see of they have a subscription to the Naxos Classical Music Library. This would allow you to hear a huge selection of music. Also check the thread about the Concergtebouw downloads. Besides the three symphonies that Haitink conducted, the previous ten downloads are still available.

For a specific suggestion, Varèse: Ameriques might do it.

Thanks for the tip!

I just decided to google my university and Naxos Classical Music Library, it seems I have access. Excellent. By looking through the genres alone I can tell this is an absolutely ridiculous source of music; more so looking through even a couple pages of composers. The website is a bit slow in some places, but the music all loads pretty much instantly so far.
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back