What class is the Little Dot Mk V in?
May 7, 2008 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tfarney

1000+ Head-Fier
Pardon me for not searching through the huge LD V thread, but I've been there before, and I'm not sure this is in there. I don't mean is it Class A or Class A/B, but where would those of you who have used it and other more established headphone amps place it in the foodchain? Is it of up there with the mid-level quality but not astronomical contenders like the Gilmore Lite and the Heed? Or is it as good as a Slee Solo or a GS-1? Or consider any other comparisons to commonly talked-about amps. Just trying to get a feel for where it lies with its high-end design but pretty low-end price.

Tim

May 7, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 8
Viewing a thread - Little Dot MK V Dual-Mono Headphone Amplifier!
001.jpg

Quote:

The Little Dot MK V is our top-of-the-line solid-state headphone amplifier in the Little Dot MK-series. A new "dual-mono" design essentially has dual power sources, dual rectification, dual filters, and dual voltage regulation powering two independent amplifiers, one for each channel! This allows for vastly improved channel separation, reduced cross-talk and minimal intermodulation distortion resulting in expanded sound-stage, imaging precision, and lower overall noise. The Little Dot MK V also provides two inputs so you can connect two sources, and conveniently switch between them via the front panel Input buttons.

LD MKV has taken an interpretation of "Dual mono" having 2 power supplies 1 for each channel. Not to be confused with 2x2 channels to accept a true balanced signal. Based on that picture, i see 2 toroidal transformers and powersupplies. Although there's only 1 amp per channel just like gilmore lite or gs1 (with 2 separate PS sections rather than 1 split). What does that amount to? Well maybe you could check out the gilmore lite ELPAC vs DPS vs GS1 as a comparison. I see LD's MC3307 opamp (IC) in the design vs the gilmore/gs-1's discrete dynalo opamp. I make no comment on discrete vs IC based.

when is the Gilmore lite (w/ elpac) an astronomical contender? It's supposed to be a value solid state headphone amp - a 2 channel dynalo. You pay for it being headamp and the nice enclosure (unsure whether i want to imply that the MK5's enclosure is cheaper).

for me, topology is what puts something in a different class. Usually the more opamps/parts/Regulated PS you have the more expensive it is. That doesn't necessarily mean it's guaranteed to sound better either. The idea of the fully balanced amp is to use a fully balanced source and thus control the transducer better to the source. Your ears may vary.

some visual regarding topology:
audio2.png

lite_board_med.jpg

gs1_silver_inside_med.jpg

power3.png

mmm_pcb_small.png

audio4.png

gsx_amp_inside_med.jpg

gsx_psu_inside_med.jpg

May 7, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pardon me for not searching through the huge LD V thread

I spent a significant chunk of the weekend searching the LDMkV thread and didn't really find an answer to this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it of up there with the mid-level quality but not astronomical contenders like the Gilmore Lite and the Heed? Or is it as good as a Slee Solo or a GS-1?

I'd be really interested in a discussion on this. Suggestions in the Zero and LDV threads seem to indicate the LDV punches considerably above its price would indicate, but exactly where? Does it compare with a $500 amp? How about a $1000 amp? Where does it fit into the SS amp foodchain *if price had no effect on the rating*?

May 7, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinotaurUK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a significant chunk of the weekend searching the LDMkV thread and didn't really find an answer to this one.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd be really interested in a discussion on this. Suggestions in the Zero and LDV threads seem to indicate the LDV punches considerably above its price would indicate, but exactly where? Does it compare with a $500 amp? How about a $1000 amp? Where does it fit into the SS amp foodchain *if price had no effect on the rating*?

I would also be very interested in this. There are very few comparisons between Little Dot amps and other amps.

May 7, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Again, I'm not asking about design class or topology, but sound. How would you rate the LD V relative to other well-known amps?

Tim

May 7, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry. I obviously misread your post completely.

This sounds like a question that probably won't be answered until the next CanJam or something. The MKV is too new and most of the people who own probably are not ready to step up to $500+ amps yet. Also I can't imagine anybody with a $500+ amp buying the $299 little dot just for comparison purposes.

A MKV vs Gilmore Lite review is a lot more likely and that should give some indication of how good the MKV is since the Gilmore Lite has been around longer and lots of comparisons have already been made. I would love to see that review because one of them is going to be my next SS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back