What cheap Sony closed headphones to get?
Jan 15, 2004 at 8:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aos

May one day solve the Mystery of the Whoosh
A colleguae at work wants a closed headphone so that he doesn't hear others and others don't hear whatever he's listening to. As he's not going to spend a lot of money on it, and the only thing coming to mind that is locally available are Sonys (and Sennheisers, but their selection is limited), I'd like a quick suggestion on a cheap CLOSED cans from Sony. He doesn't care about sound quality as the primary use won't be listening to music (he will but that is mostly MIDI files and other typical office sound stuff).

Jan 15, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 8
I purchased the Sony MDR-V6 with sound quality as my primary concern and isolation second. As far as I can tell, they do a good job closing off outside sound. I notice the difference as soon as I put them in, and although complete isolation doesn't happen without music playing, the sounds around me are definitely muted. Online the V6 sells for around $70, while its (identical) update version, the MDR-7506, is $100. If online isn't an option, you might have to go with the newer, more expensive model. As for Sennheisers, many people recommend their sub-$50 portable models, the PX100 and PX200, but I have no experience with them myself. Also the Senn HD280, at $100.

Jan 15, 2004 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by bln
PX100 and PX200, but I have no experience with them myself. Also the Senn HD280, at $100.

based on the info a headphone.com

PX100 - Open - Not closed
PX200 - Closed - 12db isolation
HD280Pro - Closed - 23db isolation - more pricey.

My 100th Post! Woooo Hoooo! I'll be joining the secret 100+ club.

Jan 15, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Cyberius
based on the info a headphone.com

PX100 - Open - Not closed
PX200 - Closed - 12db isolation
HD280Pro - Closed - 23db isolation - more pricey.

I find that figure very difficult to believe. Then I've always found some bits of info coming from Headroom (and by proxy from Geek) a bit odd. They aren't that bad though... good value for what you get. Does provide some isolation.

If sound quality isn't an issue and isolation (or at least non-leakage) is important... and it has to be cheap, then the Sony EX71 earphones will probably be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back