What CDP should I upgrade from Eastsound E5?
Dec 8, 2007 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a general list of CDP's in the $1200-1600 range (prefer new, but CAN be used..arcam, naim, ayre, rega, azur, etc.). I'm looking for something that will give me real sweet/smooth mid range and a well defined bass (not necessary lots of it though). Lots of detail and a large soundstage is always good, but I'm big on clarity and separation. If anything, I'd like to improve on the overall sound of the E5. I've had my eye on the Arcam FMJ CD36 and Azur 840c for awhile. Any comparisons or comments on these players?

Please, any input would be great.

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #3 of 15
unfortunately i don't have a lot of experience with and not have done much research about players in that price range. i know the 840C has been getting very good reviews from professionals and from users on audio sites. that would be one to definitely consider. it is also balanced, which is a very nice feature at that price.

Dec 12, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 15
I've already made up my mind and the 840c will be opened on Christmas day
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 15
Other question is: black or silver?
wink.gif
I have the lovely silver. Give it plenty time to burn-in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already made up my mind and the 840c will be opened on Christmas day
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

Silver, baby
wink.gif

I was deciding between black and silver, with a slight edge towards the silver. I called Audio Advisor and they only had silver in stock, so that worked in my favor.

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 15
That 840C is so tempting. I'm glad it has digital inputs, it just seems to make a lot of sense considering the technology built into it. Congratulations!

Dec 13, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SK138 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

How much time for burn-in? Mine is arriving tomorrow . . . and I don't think I can wait until Xmas to open it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by tensaichen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How much time for burn-in? Mine is arriving tomorrow . . . and I don't think I can wait until Xmas to open it up
smily_headphones1.gif

Be strong! Mine is sitting under the tree right now...wait with me
biggrin.gif

Dec 14, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 15
You guys are silly
wink.gif
Just open it up and let it burn in for 2-3 hundred hours and enjoy the lovely sound. You know it's not going to do that under the tree
biggrin.gif
I just hope my GSX will be here before Christmas time.

Dec 14, 2007 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 15
How about you let it burn in continuously until xmass. First listen on xmass day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back