What CD-transporter I could use for my DAC?
May 22, 2008 at 7:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Adu

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

What CD-transporter I could use for my dac Rockna RD-2? Now I'm using a cd player-transporter Teac PD-D2410.
Thanks.

May 23, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

What CD-transporter I could use for my dac Rockna RD-2? Now I'm using a cd player-transporter Teac PD-D2410.
Thanks.

You could use the TEAC PD-D2410
biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I have used numerous multichangers with an external DAC to very good effect and have never found any real difference between cheapo multichangers, moderate multichangers , DVD players and decent budget single CD players when used just as transports.

Funnily enough I was looking at the 2410 and 2610 to replace a dying DVD player, how does the 2410 perform mechanically ? Is it reasonably quiet ?

May 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 16
for ~$100 you may want to consider the Toshiba HD-XA1. Just don't be disappointed if its internal DAC sounds as good as your Rockna
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by calaf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for ~$100 you may want to consider the Toshiba HD-XA1. Just don't be disappointed if its internal DAC sounds as good as your Rockna
wink.gif

Is it quiet ? - I sit very close to my rig and my old DVD player transport has become so noisy I cannot bear to use it
frown.gif

May 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 16
the transport itself is dead quiet, but the XA1 has an internal CPU fan that I can hear from 10 feet away when I am not listening to music. About the same noise level of a quiet PC fan...

May 23, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 16
I use the Teac D2610 as my transport feeding my OMZ Dac and it sounds very good. You'll find that many folks here believe a simple budget DVD or CD player can serve very well as a transport feeding an external DAC.

May 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... how does the 2410 perform mechanically ? Is it reasonably quiet ?

Mechanically it's OK.

May 25, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #8 of 16
The Cal Audio Delta is a great transport... and... its a bargain on Audiogon.

If you want to go a bit more "upscale" look at the pre-owned Theta transports on Audiogon - they're great also.

May 25, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Teac D2610 as my transport feeding my OMZ Dac and it sounds very good. You'll find that many folks here believe a simple budget DVD or CD player can serve very well as a transport feeding an external DAC.

Thanks for that, is it quiet ?

I used to use an anonymous Philips DVD player (dying now) and currently use a bog standard Marantz multichanger(known for reliability issues), The TEAC attracted me as it can also do MP3

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mechanically it's OK.

Thanks...

May 26, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 16
I think it comes down to how quiet of a transport you want...all you're listening to if you're feeding an external DAC is a buffer anyway. My Denon DVD-1920 makes some noise, but with headphones I don't hear it anyway. I tried a few different transports feeding my OMZ, and the results were all the same. I had wanted to get crazy with high end transports, but came to the realization that it didn't matter...the DAC is where the magic was happening.

May 26, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #11 of 16
The principal reason why people can spend a mountain of cash in a good cd transport is for eliminating jitter. I would suggest you to try an anti-jitter device like the Monarchy audio DIP. You can find it used for 150$. I have one and think it's a good deal for what it does to the sound. Be sure to have a good digital cable between it and your dac.

May 26, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatanik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The principal reason why people can spend a mountain of cash in a good cd transport is for eliminating jitter. I would suggest you to try an anti-jitter device like the Monarchy audio DIP. You can find it used for 150$. I have one and think it's a good deal for what it does to the sound. Be sure to have a good digital cable between it and your dac.

Yes... I use it with my Cal Audio Delta.

And... the transport is critical - while the DAC is an important variable... so is the transport. There is lots of information available explaining why... just do a Google search... or go to the Theta site and research it.

Personally... unless I was going to get a good transport and DAC, I'd just get a Marantz SA8001 for around $600+, or a MH CD25 with mods for around $500 and be happy with them (both on Audiogon). You'll find few sources any better, at any reasonable price.

May 26, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by skatanik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have never quite understood this. I thought the the data on a CD was interleaved so it has to be buffered, (the buffering and subsequent reclocking is referred to as timebase correction) and de-interleaved before it can pass on to the input buffer on the DAC. So haven't the variations on the CD already been dealt with and what is left is timing variations between the data leaving one buffer and going to the word buffer prior to being streamed to the DAC. So the only real potential for serious jitter issues is at the DAC ?

May 26, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it comes down to how quiet of a transport you want...

Really quiet - I sit about 2' away from my CD paying devices and a clicky transport is really annoying.

Quote:

all you're listening to if you're feeding an external DAC is a buffer anyway. My Denon DVD-1920 makes some noise, but with headphones I don't hear it anyway. I tried a few different transports feeding my OMZ, and the results were all the same. I had wanted to get crazy with high end transports, but came to the realization that it didn't matter...the DAC is where the magic was happening

I have been searching in vain for any decent Blind tests that would show evidence for the value or transports (or not) but I haven't seen anything out there so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back