What CD to bring to Guitar Center?
Jan 25, 2005 at 6:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BaboonGuy

100+ Head-Fier
I am gonna go to Guitar Center pretty soon to test out the Event Studio Precision 8's, but most of the CDs that I have aren't going to be very good to bring. (Yes, a lot of them are pop stuff that aren't very well produced). So I was wondering what I should go out and buy to test out on their system?

Jan 25, 2005 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 12
if you like trashy pop, then bring the trashy pop that you know the best. on CD. that should do it.

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #5 of 12
I agree with familiarity, but also make sure that the CD has a reputable source of sounding good.

For example, I bring Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon to auditions because I know it extremely well and, IMO, it's recorded very well.

Chances are pop isn't going to sound good, it never does. You need a better taste in music - that'll get ya all fixed up
tongue.gif

I kid, of course...

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
I agree with familiarity, but also make sure that the CD has a reputable source of sounding good.

For example, I bring Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon to auditions because I know it extremely well and, IMO, it's recorded very well.

Chances are pop isn't going to sound good, it never does. You need a better taste in music - that'll get ya all fixed up
tongue.gif

I kid, of course...

I agree, I do need better taste. But yea the thing I'm most concerned about is the stuff I have may not be recorded in a high enough quality, so I won't be getting an effective audition. So I guess I'm asking for what people know to be high quality recordings.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:48 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaboonGuy
I agree, I do need better taste. But yea the thing I'm most concerned about is the stuff I have may not be recorded in a high enough quality, so I won't be getting an effective audition. So I guess I'm asking for what people know to be high quality recordings.

It really depends on what you listen to.

If the music is going to be really bass-heavy but with "higher-pitched" vocals, then it may do some good to bring them to the audition.

If you're a fan of classical music, that may be the best to bring. Even pop recordings can sound okay, but usually they go way too enhanced on the bass areas.

Jan 26, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #8 of 12
I agree that familiarity is key. That said, I've been using a few discs that have some great variety of sounds for auditioning gear. Specifically, Steely Dan's "Two Against Nature" is IMO a very high quality recording that is very well produced and has great drum and bass sounds, lots of guitar timbres and great vocals (especially backups). I think it's a disc that really helps me pick out strengths and weaknesses in components. I think it mainly works for me because I'm so used to hearing it and know what it can sound like on good gear. If you take the time to listen to it a bit before using it to audition new gear, it might work for you too. I also use Diana Krall "When I look in Your Eyes" (Redbook and SACD) and Joe Sample "The Pecan Tree".
Really it could be anything you consider well recorded and where you know what to listen for. For me, nothing is worse than becoming familiar with the details of a recording and then to find out equipment I've bought doesn't reproduce them well.
Not really pop choices (which I do listen to) but what I've been using lately to evaluate gear.
CPW

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:27 AM Post #9 of 12
DSOTM is good, no doubt, but it's not much of anything to test with. Personally, I'd grab some crazy stuff. Pick up a recording of the Telarc 1812 Overture, the old version, not the new DSD one. Those cannons will clip on everything I own - it's a good test! Also grab something like Dream Theater or some classic rock to test the punch of the phones. Really, whatever genre you like the best/listen to most is the best test.

Jan 27, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #11 of 12
My favorite track to try out new stuff with is Eagles' Hotel California. It has a little of everything (the guitar intro, the snare drum, the vocal)
And then there's the Jazz band Fourplay, all their songs are very well recorded.

You are around Bellevue area right?
If you really need some cds, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back