What CD should I get for a girl who only listens to what MTV tells her to listen to?
Nov 25, 2003 at 2:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HD-5000

1000+ Head-Fier
biggrin.gif

I can proudly say that I truly think that MTV sucks and anyone that listens to MTV music for the sake of being accepted by pop culture is a boob.

Seriously, I gotta quickly buy something for a girl.

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #2 of 18
That's a pretty vague question.

You have two options, get her something she likes, or get her something new that she might like.

Being that I don't listen to MTV, nor do I suspect most of the people on this board do, I would find it hard to make a judgement on what to get her. So I can't make those recommendations.

Girls generally like it when you get them something they are interested in. It shows you pay attention. Pick up on the hints ect ect... If you don't know her very well, but would like to, I'd say take this route.

If you know her well already, broaden her horizons. Get her some vivaldi or bach
smily_headphones1.gif
Or some Tool (wo0t for Tool).

You could always play it safe and get her a gift certificate to a Music shop. Go with her and TRY and pick something else out. If she doesn't go for it, at least she got something she wanted. But, that takes all the thought out of it... and that's what counts.

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:41 AM Post #4 of 18
Thing is, this person likes rap, punk rock, pop, R&B.

I don't know whats good in these genres.

About "boob", maybe that isn't the best description, but shes a just a friend.

Nov 25, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #5 of 18
Coldplay. Anyone can tolerate Coldplay. It's romantic and will show her your "sensitive" side.

Otherwise-- dump her!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 18
Dave Matthews Band. Chicks dig DMB for some reason. Other than that, maybe dump her.

Nov 25, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by HD-5000
Thing is, this person likes rap, punk rock, pop, R&B.

I don't know whats good in these genres.

About "boob", maybe that isn't the best description, but shes a just a friend.

Do you want her to stay 'just a friend'?
Cause if not don't give her a gift certificate. Trust me, I almost broke up with a guy after a gift certificate. It makes a girl feel anything but special.

What you can do is give her a voucher written by yourself on a nice card or something, saying that it stand for an afternoon shopping for music toghether. That way she can pick something out herself, you can influence her taste a bit and you'll have a nice afternoon toghether. Go drink some hot chocolate somewhere during the afternoon and give something to Santa or the salvation armee if you happen to walk past them.

If you're not interested in this girl and you feel she is in you, don't do this as it might give her the wrong impression.

Nov 25, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #10 of 18
safest (and easiest) bet would be a compilation featuring the current 'hip' mtv bands/acts; i'm sure they are easily available regardless of where you live. but you have to live with the shame if someone you know sees you buying it hahaha.

Nov 27, 2003 at 6:02 PM Post #15 of 18
As elrod-tom said, a safe bet is Dave Matthews Band. Though they have been MTV spawn since about 96 too...if you get her DMB, get her Remember Two Things...this was a good album. I stopped listening to it about the time Under the Table and Dreaming was picked up by MTV and the band became overplayed, but at that time (sophomore and junior in high-school 95-96), I was listening to it all the time.

THAT said, I would recommend Sam Prekop's self-titled album. I have not yet met a girl over 20 who did not get all tingly from this album. Then again, most are indie-chicks...not MTV girls...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back